Bowdon London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jul 23, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

When I first got this saw, I thought that Joseph Tyzack and Son had a bit of a cheek ascribing "London" to one of their inferior lines. (And this certainly is an inferior saw). But then on looking through HSMOB, I noticed that they were "in" London by 1914, although I am assuming an office/admin facility only. And looking at the handle, it has only the smallest vestigial hint of a lamb's tongue (probably too small to see on the photo but you can just feel it if you run your hand over it) and therefore will not be an early example of a Bowdon (note Bowdon and not HSMOB's Bowden) saw at all.

Still, I have never seen one marked as such before and despite its lack of quality, it is surprisingly straight. And it has two very nice 7/16th inch saw screws with (very nearly) full London patterned cheeks.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

There was this on OldTools Archive, but the link for the images is dead. It is marked 'BOWDON & CO SHEFFIELD'.

Toby