Biggin/Groves

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Apr 8, 2013.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

When I saw the big shiny "S Biggin & Son" medallion on this saw my crow like instincts kicked in and I whipped it out of the saw bucket it was hiding in. Glancing at the split nuts, lambs tongue, blade stamp, $3 price tag, all confirmed that this saw should be added to my increasing pile of saws.
    It was only later, when I was doing a more thorough after-sale inspection that I realized that the blade stamp was "R Groves & Sons". [I assume that the medallion, or the entire handle and hardware, were a later marriage to the blade, and that Biggin never used Groves blades in his saws].
    The blade has a nice rounded toe, but the 19-1/2 inch length is a bit suspicious. Unfortunately the steel is pitted and a dull grey that suggests its been cleaned with acid or electrolysis, but the name stamp is quite interesting; I've not seen such small lettering before. The "Groves" letters are only about 1mm high, "Sheffield" letters up to 2mm high, and the "USE" trident is tiny.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

The handle looks like the BIGGIN. One son 1845-1849.

[​IMG]

From HERE.

Not so much like your Groves panel saw.

[​IMG]

Toby

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013