Any opinions on this Drabble & Sanderson ?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by timmymacca, Sep 28, 2014.

1. timmymacca

timmymacca Member

Hi all

First post here, I came across the site via woodworkforums.com and have been reading for some time, trying to improve my knowledge and generally admiring the saws on display here.

I recently bought a saw, it was quite rusty, but some rubbing revealed the following Drabble & Sanderson stamp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"DRABBLE & SANDERSON" with "LONDON" underneath.

The handle looks to be in good condition:

[​IMG]

However something didn't seem quite right with the bolts (other than one is missing). I would have expected split nuts but there is no sign of them ever being fitted. Perhaps the handle is a replacement? I removed the handle to check for telltale extra holes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe a slightly enlarged hole at the top right but otherwise seems original.

The bolts are interesting, they certainly don't look like modern replacements. They're steel not brass. Here they are shown next to a turn of century Disston bolt for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm interested in any opinions on the age of the saw, whether the handle is original, and whether the bolts are original.

Regards

Tim

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Tim,

I think that, whatever the case is with the handle being native to the saw, the bolts are probably native to the handle.

Having said that, the corrosion around and underneath the handle would indicate to me that it is native to the blade as well, even though the top left-hand side nut looks to be slightly out of position in that it appears, from the photo's to overhang the chamfer of the return indent on the handle.

I suppose that in principle it is possible to take an old handle, put it over the top of a newly purchased blank and drill the holes more or less exactly in the position of the old ones. I have never tried. This may explain the one slightly enlarged hole, as may other explanations.

The style of nuts I would hazard a guess are circa WW1 onwards with examples in BSSM of similar nuts on a variety of other saws being around 1930.

So basically it all boils down to the mark.

I have looked in BSSM and marks similar to yours range from the 1830's to the turn of the 20th century. If the handle is original to the saw then probably the dates for the nuts above are about right. Otherwise I don't have the faintest idea I am afraid.

We need somebody who knows marks.

Fred

3. timmymacca

timmymacca Member

Hi Fred

Thanks for the response. Well spotted re the top left nut, I had noticed that but forgot to mention it. I did notice that one of the bolts has a smaller head. It was fitted in the lower position however I suspect it belongs at the top left which may "fix" the issue of the bolt not quite fitting. I also wonder if there was once a medallion in the empty spot that was souvenired at some point.

So I guess it's a trade off between nuts (points to later saw), makers stamp (points to earlier saw), handle (unsure)...

The mystery is half the fun!