Another Spear & Jackson date request

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by geojoe, Apr 28, 2014.

1. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

Hello all,

I recently found a Spear & Jackson backsaw (photos attached) and am wondering about a possible date of manufacture.

Do the markings, split nuts and/or handle shape give any clues as to when it was possibly made?

The plate has some rust issues but it is still sharp and usable. One of the split nuts has been riveted. If I can find another one that is appropriate, I might try to drill it out and replace it.

Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

S & J date request

Looks like one from their top class period, maybe around 1880-1900. In the 1850s the word Sheffield was in upper and lower case letters, and from about 1910 the mark looked completely different, with a much less sharply curved shape to the words Spear & Jackson.

I've got a tin full of saw screws that might fit, so if Joe would like to give me the details and his address (at barleys@mac.com), I'd be happy to pass on a few for him to try.

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,

I have one with a similar handle, and the same S&J stamp on the spine.
    My secondary stamps are a bit different with "warranted" and "cast steel" on opposite sides of my S&J stamp, and with no "extra" on my saw.

My saw has a blade etch stating it was made for the hardware store of DeLisle Bros and McGill of Montreal, who were in business from 1866-1875. So your saw could be of similar vintage

Attached Files:

4. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

Thank you for these helpful responses. Since this is my first Spear & Jackson, I didn't have much to go on. Simon, I will send you an email a bit later on.

Much appreciated!
    Joe