Another mystery saw.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Feb 4, 2017.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This is another saw that I shall never know for sure who made it. Neither will I ever know how much of the partial mark was polished out by the rather over-enthusiastic cleaning of the back.

I have been through the sawmakers in BSSM, and the only thing that comes close is Jane Green and Sons. The last letter of the name is certainly "N", whether the previous one is "E" is more in doubt, but it could be.

Any WAGS would be appreciated.

Fred

There are surprisingly few "Sons", plural, listed in BSSM and so the search was not that bad.

upload_2017-2-4_16-34-59.png

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    Good for you, to search through 562 pages of listings to identify a saw from a partial mark. Believe me, I know just what that takes.

The saw could perhaps be from before 1817 as BSSM's listing for Jane and the boys indicates. And the Cast dot Steel is consistent also with the marks pictured there. And the spacing of the missing part of the mark, if symmetrical over the Cast dot Steel, would certainly fit "J. Gree..."
    So I say you've done it. At least to my satisfaction.
    Regards,
    David

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Fred didn't let on that I sent him my working excel spreadsheet of Sheffield saw makers…

It's not a huge file (167KB), so if Ray could tell me how to put it up here, I'd be happy to share it.

Simon

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Which is why I said, quite purposefully, that:-

"I have been through the sawmakers in BSSM,".

A little duplicitous, I know but technically the sawmakers that I went through are in BSSM.

I just took the easy way out thanks to Simon's generosity.

Apologies for misleading you, David. Although I have done it the hard way on a couple of occasions before.

I highly recommend downloading it if Simon can get it on here.

Fred