Another mystery saw with nothing to go on

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by timmymacca, Apr 13, 2016.

1. timmymacca

timmymacca Member

Hi all

I picked this saw up because it looked "old". I base this on the general look of the handle, (obviously the saw nuts are not original) and the taper to the spine, which is taller at the handle end than the toe. The saw plate is 16" in length.

It's in a rather sorry state and unfortunately whatever makers stamp it may once have had is gone and it seems no amount of staring will reveal anything by which I can ID it.

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Tim,

I can only sympathise with you on this one. I have about 8 saws which I am convinced have some age to them, and I know that there should be a name on them, but there isn't.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for this one. The fact that, if it is English, it being a 16 inch saw makes it a little less common and in my book, more likely to be an early-ish saw. But I am sure that others would differ on that thought.

You are right about the replacement nuts. I also have a sneaking feeling that the handle may not be original to the saw either. There is no real reason for this, just that it looks a little too small for the saw, especially if it is early.

I would not normally suggest this, but if you feel comfortable with it, you could consider removing the handle in order to see if there are more than two holes in the blade. The nuts are unlikely to be original and my experience with this type of nut is that they come out a lot easier than the original slit nuts.

Fred

3. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Tim, you have my sympathies too! I have a number of similar saws & it's frustrating! I would also double check the plate for a stamp as well if there is no visible signs of a stamp on the spine, if it's really really early sometimes they stamped plates instead.
    Regards

Mari

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I propose that we should invent a name as a catch-all category for these unknown saws, something along the lines of the way the "Frankensaw" category covers all saws cobbled together from different makers.

Any ideas?

Ray

Underthedirt likes this.