Another Barber & Genn

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Jul 24, 2014.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

I was pleased to find another Barber & Genn backsaw, that nobody else wanted, at a local live auction. This is an 18" closed handle tenon saw, which complements my open handle B&G backsaw ( discussed in previous thread
    http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=294 )

The name stamp on the steel back is a bit light, but you can read most of the letters of "BARBER & GENN CAST.STEEL". It has the old style "falling" ampersand between "Barber" and "Genn", and the dot that I believe I can see between "Cast" and "Steel" seems to be a dot and definitely not a dash (as on my other B&G saw)

Although there is a lot of saw plate left, previous use has worn a dent in the left cheek where the index finger rests, which I can easily feel when I hold the saw (I must have the same size hand as a previous owner/user. Karma for me to find this saw)

The wood for the handle shows the figure of the grain beautifully (not really apparent in the picture), and an interesting feature of the handle design is the lambs tongue which is thinned down significantly before it touches the cheek. Lots of saw handles taper the width of the lambs tongue towards its tip, but I've never seen it necked down like this before. It looks factory made, but I suppose its possibly an owner modification.
    Any other examples of this design feature known ??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kiwi,

Lovely example. What a beauty!

Interesting variation on the lambs tongue, and to answer the question, No, I haven't seen that before..

When you get time, could you measure the spine, and see if it tapers towards the toe?

Regards
    Ray

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Yes Ray, the spine tapers to the toe by about 1/16 ", from a nominal 7/8"depth
    (the brass back on my other B&G saw doesn't taper)

The blade depth also tapers about 7/16", to give an overall blade+back taper of 1/2"

Blade taper can be a bit tricky, as I've sometimes found an apparent taper is only seen because a rectangular plate has been beaten farther into the spine at the toe than at the heel.
    I haven't taken the spine off this saw to check if the plate is set evenly into the spine, but I'm inclined to believe that the plate has been purposely tapered along with the spine taper to improve the balance, and the aesthetics, of the saw.
    This also agrees with the tapered shape of the saws pictured in Smith's Key, c1812, which is in the same time period as Barber & Genn's saw making.

Artistry and function can work together, and some of the seemingly minor features that we see in the design of an old saw can turn out to be the touch of a Master Sawmaker that turns a good saw into a great saw.

Matt Cianci, in his "Saw Blog", thinks back+blade taper fits into this category. (Tho' he's a bit of a fanatic).

So..... "What about the nib ?" :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Ignoring the nib for now... :) I agree with you that the slight tapering of the spine, makes the saw look more balanced and whether it's functional or not, it looks better.. ( aka the nib! )

There remains a mystery of sorts that I seem to recall Fred was chasing, and that is the unusually high numbers of Barber & Genn saws that are found in the US..

Regards
    Ray