An Appeal to save a very special saw.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I received an email from Simon during the week, and I think this is a project worthy of support and promotion.

This is an appeal for funding to bring a unique one of a kind saw back home to be on permanent display for the appreciation of the general public by the Ken Hawley Collection Trust.

[​IMG]

I encourage all interested to make a contribution so that this unique saw can be enjoyed and appreciated by the public on a permanent display. Details on how to become involved in saving this unique bit of history can be found in the attached pdf.

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

A bit of an update: The Hawley Trust is putting in its application for the grant to acquire this, and I've been to Vienna to check it's in good nick (purely duty, you understand), which it is. We have had an encouraging number of offers of financial help, and it looks hopeful.
    I will post a full report on the saw in due course. It's quite a story!
    Thanks to everyone. Simon

3. Barleys

An update, and almost the last one: the fund-raising to buy the saw for 12500 Euros has finally succeeded, thanks in great part to generous watchers of this forum – not just for getting in first with their contributions, but thereby enabling the Ken Hawley Collection Trust to make applications to official grant-giving bodies and to say that we had already got a good start. It is apparently essential to demonstrate that grant-seekers have been successful on their own account.

And the saw was delivered to the museum on Monday this week by fedex from Vienna. We will be trying to interest the media over as wide a field as possible, as we want to celebrate a supreme example of Sheffield saw making, and bring the existence (and value, we hope) of the Hawley collection to more people. Watch lots of different spaces.

When we have the special display cabinet completed I'll post a picture of the saw in its final home. 159 years away from Sheffield, and returned at last.

(incidentally, the saw looks as though it has never been used – read into that what you will!)

Huge thanks again, on behalf of the Trustees of the Ken Hawley Collection, and me personally Simon
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Excellent news, nice to think it's come home at last. And to a royal welcome no doubt. Congratulations to The Hawley Trust.

5. Barleys

Kerry likes this.