Advance

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by pmcgee, Oct 23, 2012.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

OK ... now you guys are messing with me :)

I looked in the checklist. I did.

Is this perhaps a more recent offering?

Thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum! I've been meaning to say that..

The check list, is a work in progress, unfortunately progress has somewhat stalled..

The Advance logo is one of the many Taylor Brothers marks. There are quite a few threads on here relating to Taylor Brothers.

In this post by Kiwi, there is a good summary of some of their trademarks

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showpost.php&p=833&postcount=2

The reclining lamb with the flag is known as the "Paschal Lamb" if you google it there are many religious connections to the symbol. I can recall a discussion Fred and I had on the subject. A search here should find it. (I hope)

Regards
    Ray

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. pmcgee

I'm doing well ... :)

I had searched on 'advance' before I posted.

... did -not- search on 'smithson' ...

Thanks Fred.

Paul.

>> Interesting ... I tried the smithson search ... no result ... :confused:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul,

I didn't do that very well... Smithson is listed as a Taylor Brothers Brand, bottom of the first column..

[​IMG]

The multiple branding, tends to be a later phenomenon, often brands were created, sometimes customer names, and sometimes seemingly with randomly chosen names to differentiate lower cost second, third, and lower grade saws, so that the quality and reputation of the higher grades remained intact.

You see exactly the same marketting strategy today with multiple brands and one manufacturer..

Smithson, might well have been the name of the factory foreman's cousin.. or it could be an ironmonger.. that's where the research get's really interesting..

Regards
    Ray

PS A picture of the whole saw might help pin down a rough era, but I suspect Fred's law might apply... :)

6. pmcgee

Ah. I had meant to do that ... must have seen a butterfly ...

I like that at least he took the trouble to peen his bolt over. :)

Thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files: