A woman in charge?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, May 20, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Seeing this mark I assumed – and come on, didn't all of you too? – this was Mr Hunt and his lad. Well, thanks to some excellent work by an archivist at the Leicester Record Office, it turns out to be, as so often, a mistaken assumption. This is the mark, I'm sure, of Mrs Mary Hunt, who the 1841 census recorded as a 50 year old, living with her 25 year old son William, and an apprentice, Joseph Pickering, then aged 17. The directory entries I was kindly sent have enable the following entry to be constructed:
    IMG_6778.JPG IMG_6781.JPG

HUNT, Mary & Son LEICESTER

Churchgate <1835>

HUNT & PICKERING

14 Gallowtreegate & Church Gate <1864>

14 Gallowtreegate & 85&87 Church Gate <1870>

1835: ironmongers, and iron and steel merchants; 1870: ironmongers, cutlers etc at the first address, and agricultural implement manufacturers at the second.

Who made the saw, which I've dated at around 1840, remains unknown. Leicester was not a hardware manufacturing town at that date, although there were "saw makers" later in that decade. The mark is fairly crude, and lacks the saw tooth border that Sheffield mark makers used quite a bit at that date. I can think of a ironmonger in Exeter who had a named saw made for him in about 1840 (again, by whom?), but it was not a frequent practice, I believe.
    The saw will go into the museum collection in Sheffield, as it is not a user, having a severely broken handle (old repair) and teeth so blunt that, in the words of Sheffield cutlers, "you could ride bare arsed to London on it".

pmcgee likes this.
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

A woman in charge or not, Simon, it is still a mark to drool over.

Fred