A.S. Lunt

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by PeterEvans, Mar 10, 2013.

1. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Peter,

I seem to have had this on my watch list forever.

I would quite willingly have paid that price for it, the problem is that I have seldom had a postage quote from Australia come in at under GBP45, and so on this one I never even asked.

But it is a saw well worth owning.

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

AS Lunt

Lovely little saw - not surprised it fetched a decent sum.

Interesting that the mark (ie the punch) for striking the address is the same as in this one below- a defective number 9.
    ASLunt and his son William were listed as sawmakers, but I suspect that like many of the men in the Hackney area of London from the second half of the 19th cent they were tool dealers servicing the large furniture industry in that part.
    My database entry as follows, with photos of a saw of c1900:
    LUNT, Albert Samuel LONDON
    (7) 9 Goldsmith’s Row, Hackney Road 1871-1876
    297 Hackney Road 1877-1900
    LUNT, William
    297 Hackney Road c1908
    Saw makers; . Listed in British Planemakers 3rd ed as tool and cutlery warehousemen, with direct connections to shops in Leicester and Kettering, and a less direct link to the Liverpool planemakers of that name. The premises were occupied by George Shaw from 1909.

Attached Files:

4. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

Fred, with the rise in the A$ and the gouging by the Aus Post Office, not surprised at quotes. On the other hand posting from UK to Aus not too dear, roughly 1/2 the cost. From US is now exhorbitant, especially as surface mail is no longer an option.

Best of luck, you could of course have them sent to me, and pick them up on your next visit to Oz!