A Quick Dumb Query

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by pmcgee, Jun 3, 2013.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

2. pmcgee

One other - this saw shows only ghostly hints on the saw blade, but it was the handle that got me.

It took me a while, but I twigged that the handle was identical to one I had bought as a lone handle online just because it was very nice applewood.
    The handle on the saw itself looks to be more like cherry.

Between the two, only the carving is different. Perhaps it might show two individuals carving at about the same time ... or a difference over a time period.
    :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

I probably can't help you at all and certainly not with the American ones, but the "British" saw, if it is British looks to have a lot in common (or at least the medallion does) with an F Brittain.

The handle style with the split nuts and flat medallion should put it in the first quarter of the 20th C.

It will be interesting to see what others think. But I thought a la my backsaw of a few posts back, that they had stopped using the fancy medallions by then. Perhaps not on handsaws, even though the medallion is a shadow of some of the earlier ornate ones.

Fred

PS. A fascinating collection of Harvey Peace's

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

5. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Woodrough & McParlin?

7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

8. pmcgee

Thanks Fred ... it has a low-cost air about it :)

I also had a query about a "McEwin Special" made in sheffield ... I don't know if you saw that?

Thanks,
    Paul

9. pmcgee

My god Toby - I think you practice a dark art of saw-cery.

This is turning into a virtual barrel of co-inkydinks.

Number one ... getting the handle and the handsaw separately via ebay.

Number two ... posting the handsaw and the shorty saw in the same message. They are only both in here because I couldn't otherwise place them.

Number three ... when you referred me to the picture above, I had gone to get the shorty saw because I figured that was what you were comparing it to. Then I saw it had 4 sawnuts, and scrolled about a bit ... to find this one ...

[​IMG]

and then on going back and forth between them, I twigged that you were referencing the handsaw ... which is similar to the pic you put up.

AND ...
    Number four ... the Sawmill Creek discussion mentioned "Sickels, Preston & Nutting Co. Davenport, Iowa" ... which lead me to ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets/72157632596042223/comments/

[​IMG]

!!!

I would be very happy to have two W&McP saws ... not sure I have exactly, but I'm stoked to have made connections this far. They might be some kind of poor cousin or knock-off?

The sawnuts both on my handle and handsaw are a nickle look, with a little brass coating left, and the medallions look a bit more pressed tin than stamped brass.

Thanks for the help!
    Paul

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. pmcgee

One more thing ... I forgot to say ... that the design on that little panel saw is like a carnival on a stick. Design straight from Barnum & Bailey.

Secondly ... among the W&M pics from Mike Stemple is a sunken medallion ... but a different eagle ... and not Warren or Ted.

[​IMG]

11. pmcgee

And to confuse things a bit more ... he's another sorta look-a-like that I didn't include in the hardware thread ...

Interesting in that it has a visual link, and a geographical one.
    The sawnuts and the medallion are smaller than the ones posted previously, but it is a 26" saw.

Cincinnati Saw Company ... (GH Bishop brand apparently)
    Superior
    Cincinnatti O.
    Cast Steel 120 Warranted
    Patent Ground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013