A new Groves saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This is a Groves I've not seen before: their No5, one of the 7 product lines in their 1915 catalogue (that is, at a time when they had been taken over by Moses Eadon).
    The photos show the actual saw, which does have the same etch as the other photos show – the extract from the catalogue which is in the Hawley Tool Collection in Sheffield. I've had to use the catalogue picture because the saw's etch is too messy to reproduce at 19.5 KB. To me the interesting things about it are the fact that is is a fairly straight copy of an Atkins (Fitchburg, USA) saw of the period, and it's like a US saw in being very thin and wappy (Sheffield dialect = bendy) and that it has Ltd after the R. Groves & Son - and of course that it's the first one I've seen, in the face of many many Groves No 2, which was their 2nd quality, although it's a very fine user saw. I've also never seen any of the other numbered saws of this date - the Nos 1, 3, 4 or 7 (there was no number 6), although some of these were merely variants on straight back vs skew back; they also had three cheaper qualities, with the names Vickers, Dawson and Walsh (plenty of these around, except the Walsh, which is recorded, but rare).
    Will have to post one illustration separately, as two with the same number don't seem to be acceptable.

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

detail of etch

Attached Files: