A butchers' saw?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by PeterEvans, Jun 9, 2011.

1. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Saws of a similar style to this appear quite regularly on Ebay, particularly the U.S. version and they are normally described as surgeon's saws. Some of the time as Civil War saws, presumably to give them more of a cachet and to boost the price.

Whether they are surgeons saws or not, I don't know, but it seems a reasonable assumption looking at their design and tooth size.

Fred

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I really am not thinking straight just recently. I should have put the name through HSMOB before this. I don't know about the "not Stanley" part, but there is a John Arnold in London from 1823 to 1846. 1823 to 1830 has him at 45 New Compton Street, Soho and 1831 to 1846 at 2 High Street, St Giles.

Google is not much good on this. There are lots of references to saws with the same title as yours but they all direct you to either the saw on Ebay that you have highlighted, or nothing at all. If you persevere you may get somewhere, but I got fed up looking.

Fred

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

5. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

Dementia definitely settling in. Remind me not to go to the butchers for a bit of surgery.

Cheers