2 Sorbys

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by purfler, Jun 2, 2012.

1. purfler

purfler Most Valued Member

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Tim,

There are many things that I know little about, but as regards I and H Sorby, I know less than I normally do.

HSMOB has I and H Sorby as a mark of John Sorby and Sons and has it down as 1829 with I and I Sorby as 1841. But don't get too excited too quickly as they were taken over by Lockwood Brothers in 1855 (from HSMOB) and I have a sneaking suspicion that they continued to trade as the afore mentioned Sorby's for some time after that. For more info on this, follow

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=100

And in particular Ray's post no.3.

The style of the saw looks to me to be 1870/80+ looking at the handle. I hope that I am wrong and it is earlier but I think that it is a vain hope.

The Robert Sorby I find interesting as it ties in with a recent thread in respect of the three crowns.

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=288

I am still no less confused than I was there as yours has a handle that I associate with with an 1870/80+ saw and the three crowns that Simon (I think) puts at 1860 - ish+. (I have lost the thread that he says this on and my memory could well be downright wrong or substantially inaccurate).

I cannot, however see on your saw a "Kangaroo" stamp. Is there one on it anywhere? It may not be vital as it may just have been omitted, but I think that the Kangaroo was not put on until the 1840's (corrections please if I am wrong) and so a saw without a Kangaroo may be an earlier saw. But again, I have a feeling that this one is not.

For a further discussion on Robert Sorby, please follow

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=126

And particularly Simon's posts (who refers to the lack of a Kangaroo on lower quality saws, possibly).

It is all very confusing and which makes saw collecting fun.

Fred

3. purfler

Many thanks for the reply Fred. This saw stuff in particularly addictive (I though planes were, but this is different for reasons I cannot explain).

The Robert Sorby does not have the kangaroo mark, but does have the Maltese Cross https://picasaweb.google.com/timrobinson22/Saws?authkey=Gv1sRgCMy2rJ-4l9HslgE#5749029543547549058 just above the S in Sorby.

I'll follow up the links you have kindly given.

Regards,

Tim

PS - Is the use of a stamp in the blade other than acid etch significant to dating?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Nice buy, Tim !
    (I also love the hunt for bargain priced 100yr old saws) Those beautifully crafted old saw handles look good to my eye, and just seem to perfectly fit the hand (three finger grip)

The HSMOB book (Handsaw Makers of Britain), shows Robert Sorby saws were made from the 1840s-1980s, and Lockwood Brothers (who used the I&H Sorby tradename) were in business 1850s-1910s
    As Fred notes, your saws look to have the classic handle style, and blade stamp style, typical of the 1870-1890 ish era. (That handle style faded out late 1800s to early 1900s and the blade etches replaced stamps over the late 1800s.....but, there always seem to be some exceptions. Check out the references that Fred listed for more discussion )
    The handle on your Robert Sorby looks original to me, with its small medallion cutout typical for RS

I've attached some pictures of my Robert Sorby handsaws for comparison with yours. The top two have the same blade stamp as yours with the three crowns, but also with the kangaroo icon, (and the handles have the small 3/4 inch dia kangaroo medallions). And the bottom one has a blade stamp like yours with no kangaroo, but also with no crowns, (and like yours, the handle has lost all its original sawnuts)
    I'd have attached some pictures of my I&H Sorby handsaws , if I had any. (jealousy !)

Attached Files:

5. purfler