18th century Birmingham backsaw?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by richarnold, Feb 21, 2016.

1. richarnold

richarnold Member

i have recently borrowed this saw from a good friend of mine. he always told me it was by Barber and Genn, but now I have had a closer look at it I'm sure it's not. I think the first four letters in the stamp are barn-, with the next letter possibily being A. the second word contains an N, but other than that I'm not confident. There is another word below the main stamp that looks suspiciously like "warrented"but this seems unlikely for a saw of this age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

One name that comes to mind for the first name is Barnard but what the second word on the top line is, I don't know. Joe has already posted a Barnard saw on here.

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/barnard-saw-plater.72/

There is also Barnet(t) and Pratt (very early- 1762) and Barnet(t) and Sons(Co.) (1770 to 1803), both according to BSSM.

Whatever it is, with that handle it must be pre 1800.

Fred

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Richard
    Wonderful saw. Which lending libraries let you borrow saws like this because you can sign me up right now. This saw has to be another example of a Barnard and I think the word after Barnard is REFINED and then Warranted. I may be wrong but it makes sense and the letters look like they would work out to this. The handle compared to my saw looks a little more loved but on a 200 year old saw what could you expect. It is the brass back that puts this saw on another tier.
    enjoy this one!
    Joe S.