Discussion on eBay Saws

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

After some soul searching and reflection, I thought it might be an appropriate time to provide a sticky thread for discussion relating to saws that are listed for sale on eBay.

If you are listing something on ebay, I don't object to it being mentioned here. I'd look a bit askance at overly blatant spruiking however.. :)

Instances where a seller has plagiarised descriptions without proper attribution, are worth mentioning here as well. Even if just to provide a public flogging space to chastise the seller..

I also love the odd-ball stuff, the ridiculously overpriced, botched together, especially the wild unsubstantiated claims. All grist to the mill for eBay.

Let's see how it goes..

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  2. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Transferred it to my photo program and fiddled about, and my best guess, through the paint and rust, for the arc shaped letters would be "Taylor Bros".... Open to a different opinions!
    "some" damage to the handle, eh!!

4. Deesinister

"some" damage to the handle, eh!!

I think you're being harsh here Simon ;), No horns to speak of or, for that matter, any steel visible beyond 1mm of rust. Clearly a collectors item.:eek:. Not an Unreasonable asking price tho having said that (maybe a tad optimistic).

5. Mr_P

Mr_P Member

6. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I have looked in BSSM under both the "Nonpareil" Tyzacks and under Colver Brothers entries and I can find no connection at all between the two firms. The saw screws and the medallion look like very good fit for the handle (but also the handle looks to be a very good fit for the saw). I suspect that the handle is not original to the blade and back.

Unfortunately the only way to really find out is to buy the saw, take the handle off and count the screw holes in the plate.:)

Fred

7. Mr_P

Mr_P Member

Thanks Fred,

So its possible but unlikely, will leave the next owner the joy of finding out the truth. I'm still recovering from a recent split nut encounter and in no rush to repeat the experience.

Thanks,
    Carl

8. Barleys

Quite hard to put oneself back into the mindset of the 19th cent Sheffield saw maker, maybe a "little" man doing mainly factored work on a piece-work basis, involved with lots of different firms at different times, has an old tin full of miscellaneous medallions for all the big firms, working on a Colver Brothers order for an Edinburgh tool retailer, puts his hand in and fishes out a Tyzack elephant, starts inserting while thinking much more about whether he's going get top the pub on time to get at least three pints in before closing time, so hey in 2015 we are puzzling about this odd mix up!
    Or something similar.

9. Mr_P

Mr_P Member

Thanks Simon,

If I dated it correctly maybe it was Jumbo related, he died in 1885.

How well known was the Tyzack logo North of the border ? These days when I see Mr P I think I.Sorby a few years ago I would have said and Judy.

10. Barleys

A warning on a different note.
    Bidding by auction sniper last evening on a saw (OK, we all do it sometime…) but was annoyed to find that my maximum bid, although higher than the winner's, was disallowed because ebay "require account verification". Contacting ebay today, I find that the vendor, for reasons best known to himself, had besides under "tools" listed it under cutlery, and for all cutlery items, ebay require account verification. That's to stop wild men like you and me from marching down the high street threatening the innocent with decapitation by tenon saw.
    Oh well, it was a crumby old saw, shortened anyway, but with a mark I'd not seen before.

11. Mr_P

Mr_P Member

12. fred0325

Hi Mr_P,

The butchers suggestion may have been right. I have a stainless steel butchers saw with a back to it, but the giveaway to it is that it was stamped with the name of a butcher's supplier. I cannot lay my hands on it at the moment (lots of saws stored in water resistant boxes and no catalogue) and so I cannot say who the supplier was. I do have a butchers backsaw posted on here, but it is a pre-stainless steel one.

The problem with yours is that it is marked Marples who may or may not have made saws for butchers. I do think that there was a fad at one stage for making stainless steel wood-saws, but that is dragged up from my very unreliable memory.

Fred

13. Deesinister

14. Deesinister

rob1713 likes this.
  15. Deesinister

16. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

That style of handle on the Taylor saw was usually sold on "table" or "pruning" saws (by many manufacturers).
    Taylor may have started using etching (instead of stamping) on saws as early as 1860s, although I think this saw is quite a bit newer than that. Spear & Jackson advertise a similar handle design in their 1915 catalogue, still with "flat" screws, and the orange-ish varnish remnants on the Taylor saw would fit closer to this era.
    Usually the blade was longer, (a previous owner may have a shortened the Taylor blade and added the nib The nib shape filing looks a bit off from traditional shaping to my eye, But I could be wrong)

17. Deesinister

Hi Kiwi, no I agree about the nib. It would be good to see where the etch was on the saw in relation to the handle. I hadn't thought of pruning saws because of the shape of the blade but I think you maybe right.

18. fred0325

Mr_P reply number 11

I was rooting around my saws today in an attempt to sort some out and came across the stainless butcher's saw mentioned above.

One of the giveaways is that the supplier is in Smithfield!!

Fred

Attached Files:

19. Deesinister

20. fred0325

Hi,

I was also an underbidder although I don't think that luck had much to do with it unfortunately, it was down to how deep my pockets were, and they were obviously not deep enough.:( Neither was my nerve strong enough to dare to bid more.

As you say, a lovely handle but an awful truncated blade.

I didn't look up the name on the handle (Gill) as I thought that it would be an owner. It would be interesting if the name on the blade were to be the same. That, I suspect would be a turn-up for the book.

If the person who has bought it reads this, I would ask that they post the saw here so that we can all get a better look.

Fred