Thomas Turner and C. Nurse

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by BuckGroves, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

In another recent thread I posted about a saw that was sold by Harrods but had the "Encore" stamp indicating it was made by Thomas Turner.

Another of my brass backed saws is marked C. Nurse:

[​IMG]

There was a C. Nurse steel backed saw for sale on Ebay (which I didn't win) that also had the Encore stamp.

Were all the Nurse saws made by Turner?

BuckGroves

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Buckgroves.
    I would love to see the "encore" stamp on the Nurse saw you mention. I have only ever seen the "invicta" prancing horse on all my Nurse saws even though there are variations on the Nurse and Co stamp. We know that Nurse never made saws but sold saws of very high quality and this I can attest to this in all the saws I have. The steel used was very good and I rarely have seen many with any significant pitting, a good sign of quality metal. ( On of My favourite cutting saws). The "encore " stamp would give us an idea who made them.
    Joe S.

3. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

Joe,
    unfortunately, the photos on Ebay were too small to be useful, and I was unable to buy the saw. I was surprised to see the Encore stamp, so was wondering if it had turned up on any other Nurse saws. As you mention, they are very nice saws.

BuckGroves

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi BuckGroves,

I've had no luck locating that ebay Nurse, any chance of a link?

The ones I found as completed listings are ..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11096782...ksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true#ht_500wt_1414

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/C-NURSE-...Hasdware_RL&hash=item2c68e9c422#ht_500wt_1182

I see the first one has been re-listed, no bids first time around... not this time?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-...Hasdware_RL&hash=item19d63295a1#ht_500wt_1414

Can't see the encore mark

Regards
    Ray

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

magnified x3 ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray, et al.
    You will have to forgive me this indulgence but I have sort of a soft spot for "C.Nurse" tools which began a long time ago. The first "expensive and high end" saw I ever purchased on line was from Bob Brode many years ago which set me down this path. Here are some of the varieties that i have accumulated over time. As I said before I would love to know who may have actually manufactured these or if there were several companies over the years. An "encore "stamp may help in a lot of ways.

enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

7. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray et al.
    A very nice Nurse hand saw with a paper label around the WS medallion. Unfortunately I can't read what has been written on the label below the finish. Not about to mess with it though.
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

8. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

9. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Thanks BuckGroves,

That's what we were looking for..

[​IMG]

That's pretty conclusive proof that at least some Charles Nurse saws were made by Thomas Turner.

Nicely spotted.

Regards
    Ray

10. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

11. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thomas Turner and Nurse

Can add that I have a Nurse hand saw which is marked in an identical manner to one made by W. Tyzack, Sons and Turner [different Turner]

The "Encore" one is new to me.

They were a very prolific firm and would have had to go to different Sheffield makers at different times to fill what were no doubt big sales orders.

12. bugbear

bugbear New Member

I recently purchased, and have cleaned and sharpened a 9 TPI (or PPI) Charles Nurse handsaw, quite small.

Would the details, etch, handle shape etc be of interest here?

TBH, I just bought it as a working s/h saw.

BugBear

13. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Thomas Turner and Nurse

Hey BugBear
    Love to see some pics... cause as I said before, I can't get enough of them .
    Joe S.

14. bugbear

bugbear New Member

I will do my best - the etch is not distinct, because the saw was pretty rusty (ugly rusty?) when I got it.

Any tips on photographing etches welcomed!

Edit; here we go;

[​IMG]

My reading is:

C. NURSE & Co
    Best Cast Steel Warranted" with the horse over "invicta" in the middle
    LONDON

[​IMG]
    My reading is:

For Beauty of Finish,
    Workmanship & Quality,
    This Saw is unequalled

BugBear

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  15. bflores

bflores New Member

C Nurse Stamp

Here is a photo of the stamp on a C. Nurse hand saw that I am restoring. I've added it to this thread because I don't recognize the portion to the left of the words "C Nurse London" perhaps it might help shed some light on the question of manufacturing. To the right we seem to have the remnants of the unicorn and invicta stamp. They are quite faint, so I could be wrong.

Attached Files:

16. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

On the assumption that it is not a Harvey Peace, the only other "Arm and Hammer" that I can think of is Wheatman and Smith.

If you go to Ray's Trade Marks section and scroll down until you get to them you will see a similar mark inside a scroll.

If you ignore the scrolly thing, (which I have never seen on an impressed mark - it is probably easier to etch than impress and I think that Ray's marks were taken from a late [1905 -ish] catalogue) you are left with the Arm and Hammer, and which I think that I have in isolation on a couple of my saws. They are currently boxed and not easily accessible otherwise I would post a photo. If I do have a root through to find them, then I will put one on.

Fred

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  17. bflores

bflores New Member

Thanks for the information! Yes, it looks like the Wheatman and Smith; it makes sense that stamps never got too intricate as they would have been difficult to make and would have distorted the saw plate too much, I suppose. Without some documentation I imagine it is impossible to pinpoint the maker, but this seems reasonable. I'll post some pictures when the saw is done.

Thanks, Bart

18. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Bart,

I have managed to find a mark of Wheatman and Smith. There is no point in showing you the whole saw as it is on a broken blade only, no handle.

But the "Arm and Hammer" mark it is. Faint but very similar to yours.

Fred

Attached Files:

19. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Look here on page 272.

20. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Interesting that "Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware" shows the exact same Trademark for both Wheatman & Smith (per Toby's post, p272) and for Alfred Beckett & Sons (p23),
    suggesting Bart's saw could have come from either Sawmaker