Foley continues to torment me...

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by TraditionalToolworks, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Ok, went to teeth a couple plates this weekend. Stamped the first one at 13 ppi for a xcut saw, the rake was about 10-12 degrees. Then adjusted to what I thought would give me a higher rake, and stamped a 14 ppi plate for a rip saw. Comes out almost exactly the same rake as it had been before, after adjusting it...

I have said it before and I will say it again...Foley equipment is crap.:eek:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

I hear what your saying but I also know you've worked with this stuff longer then I and after using it 2 times I knew I'd have to run a test EVERY time I make any adjustment.

This past weekend I picked up the later stye retoother like yours.
    VERY COOL!!!!

I haven't had the chance to check it over but I mostly bought it for the ratchet bars. It has a FULL set with the hard to come by 14,15,16, pls the others. I now have 3 complete sets so I'm going to hopefully fine a home for at least one of them. Got to be someone in the NE will be interested.

Joe

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Yeah, I tell people that also...but it never feels good getting bit again...:D
    Good time to quit, now that you got your set. Sell what you can and be done with it, keep the retoothers and ratchets.

Funny, I have a 387 filer, and a guy not far from me had one on Ebay for ***ONLY*** $400 starting bid. I sent him a message on ebay and asked if he had the ratchets. No, but a guy offered him close to $400 so he knows it's worth it...he just lowered it to $299...I told him he could have mine for free, just drive 20 minutes and pick it up...what a bunch of jerks these guys are....if there's so much money in this crap, why not get mine as well ???? lol

4. need2boat

I know what you mean. With each of the retoothers. I've bought filers Ive been lucky in selling them for something, but the best I've gotten is 100.00 and I didn't give them one bar, no ratchets and I think I may have also thrown in a power setter. God knows what I would do with that either.

Mine were the older 200 model. This last unit I bought to get the ratchets came with a filer, and a power setter. The power setter looks to be used for round blades but it's a much later model then the rest of the foley stuff.

I'll take pictures this weekend and put it up on CL. The retoothers I'll most likely sell/trade at a tail gate at the next tool auction.

Joe

5. need2boat

stanger carrier

Alan,

Since you know a bunch about these old units. . . what can you tell me about this carrier? It's not in the retoother or filler manuals I have. Is it for toothing smaller pieces saw plate? I picked it up with the last retoother I got, per the norm. The guy I picked it up from had never used it, just picked it up at an auction.

Joe

Attached Files: