Sykes & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Gareth, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

My mystery SYKES & Co has arrived. The handle is surprisingly tight and it cuts surprisingly well (in pine at least). The BSSM has two entries for Sykes and Co. This is either a second quality saw c 1900 or made by William Sykes who operated from1786-1823 (of Kenyon Sykes co.). Its stamped SYKES & CO CAST STEEL definitely no other marks so no help there. It was originally 16" long the toe has a notch at the end i know ive seen it somewhere else before but i cant remember in what context. Does anybody have a saw with this feature? The handle has a single original split nut left its a 1/2" (and placed where a medallion would usually be if there was one) and its been filed flush on the back side which i think is more indicative of an earlier date. The other that stands out to me is the handle is tiny its even hard for my delicate paws to fit it comfortably. If anyone has any ideas id love to hear them. Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

I’ve just acquired one with the same stamp .

Attached Files:

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

Hey there I think I recognize this saw from one of my FB groups as well. Ive been some research that involves Sykes & CO ill let you know what i find.

Lostarrow likes this.