12" steel backed saw by Russell & Horsefield

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by steveatkinson, May 13, 2017.

1. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

I saw this beauty, well I had to have it, these are the pictures from the sales listing, you will soon see why no one else bid on it.
    As nice as the handle looks, if I want to use the saw then it will need a new handle, for fear the original may crumble to dust at any moment.
    I am still trying to separate the spine from the blade, patience, it will come.
    When it first landed I don't know what I was expecting, but I felt a little deflated when I first saw it.
    Now its had time to grow on me, I am looking forward to bringing it back to life.
    Happy Hunting
    Steve

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. rob1713

rob1713 Active Member

This may seem like sacrilege, but if the handle is that far gone maybe it would be worth treating the worm with wood worm killer then treating it it with wood hardener http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-wet-rot-wood-hardener-clear-500ml/63540
    I've used this to treat wet rot affected timber on window frames and it does do what it says on the tin, the affected area is still ok after 3 years, (though it has been covered with paint obviously). It penetrates really well but does leave a slightly 'wet' looking finish.
    Maybe try it on handle you are less attached to first

3. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

Hi Steve. The handle looks fine to me. I'd give it BLO bath overnight and let ita few days (week) to cure.
    I spray WD40 along the back on both sides try to separate them in half hour you ming need to repeat this 2-3 times though.
    Have fun
    S

4. Ken

Ken Member

That does look a nice handle. Shame the worms liked to too. Wonder why its fitted at such an odd angle? Perhaps it started life on a different saw and who ever fitted it to this one didn't bother drilling the plate to suit. Certainly looks awkward to use.

5. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Hi Guys,
    Many thanks for your input, I have just put the bottle of worm killer back down, they might of had a meal out of it, but I be damned if they are getting any more of it. It is I am sorry to say well and truly peppered.
    I am not beaten yet, a dip in the worm stuff to finish off the lingerers, then a soak in BLO, that should do the trick, alas it is always going to be weak now, they have had quite some feast.
    Regarding another handle, I suppose I was challenging myself really, it is not as if I have all the time in the world, I am pretty confident that I could make a very close match to the original, one catch, I never said how long it would take me. I have done a few in the past, but none quite as fine looking as this one.
    I have managed another couple of pictures here, the stamp on the spine is now a lot clearer after a rub, with the wire wool, it is an iron back, so I can not go overboard on it, otherwise it will take more than the rust and dirt off.

Russell & Horsefield Sheffield, Cast Steel, First class plus railway carriage trade mark, as a guess based on other peoples findings 1854 to 1856, when thy were in operation.
    There is evidence that the handle at least has been refitted, if it is not a total replacement, either way it had been there quite some time and was hed fast , at least by one saw nut , the other being snapped internally.

ah now day light is almost here, its a Sunday Morning, and it car boot if we can persuade the rain to stay off for this morning.

Attached Files:

6. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That handle is gorgeous, the long top horn & delicate lambs tongue are fantastic- first class is right, I don't mind a few holes in handles, if the wood is too crumbly then you get the enjoyment of making a new handle for it...:)
    Thanks for sharing, it's a beauty.

Mari

7. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

The handle is very very nice and in good nick. If you let BLO penetrate deep and have patience to wait until it fully cured, your handle will be pretty solid to last for a long long time. I learned this trick from a great plane maker. Shame the handle does not look original to this saw but it is a quality piece and worth saving.