Old Haymarket - J Tyzack & son Trade mark?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Rustyoldion, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

This 14" brass backed tenon saw has a badly struck or worn away mark. The Joseph Tyzack & Sons three legged trade mark is just visible next to the words OLD HAYMARKET. The mark does not appear in BSSM.
    Any views on the age of this? I suspect 1930s or later.

Rustyoldion P1140754.JPG P1140755.JPG P1140756.JPG P1140757.JPG

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

The street name rang a bell, and I found that JJHarley and after him Mary Harley (BSSM p308) were there; as they were dealers only, it's perhaps not surprising to find them selling a J Tyzack saw; I wonder if the Harley name has got lost somewhere along the brass back.
    I would have dated this, mainly on the strength of the blind medallion/large flat screw as earlier even than the 1880s, so I wouldn't myself put it as late as the 1930s; by 1923, according to British Plane Makers, the business name had changed, but used the same address, so it's conceivable that if this really is a later saw, the new names might have been omitted in favour of continuing nothing but the address, which might still have been a recognisable selling point.

3. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

Thank you Simon,
    Having looked now at the Harley entry in BSSM the mark on my saw looks exactly like the B c1900 mark in your book. There certainly had been something above the Old Haymarket stamp on my saw and it could well have been Harley. I am sure your dating is far more accurate than mine and I am pleased the saw is much earlier than I thought. At least we know now where Harley got his saws from.

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Some of them, anyway: that's the problem about factored saws, that even when one particular one is pinned down, it doesn't necessarily mean all the others from that dealer are the same. If only!

Simon