Gabriel and others

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Rustyoldion, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

P1120183.JPG P1120185.JPG P1120184.JPG P1120188.JPG P1120190.JPG P1120193.JPG P1120194.JPG This is my first posting as a new member so I hope it appears as it should. I have a very small but growing collection of backsaws but thought members may find this selection of interest.
    First is an iron back saw stamped Gabriel and is I believe one of only two known stamped by this dealer/maker. The plate is 13 and 1/2" long and has probably been shortened as the name is 8" from the toe. The handle has lost a horn and has very odd brass rivets or screws.
    The second saw is an iron back by Beardshaw and Son. This has a 14 and 1/2" long plate with the stamp only 4" from the toe. The handle looks quite early style and is riveted. The name stamp is only 20mm long in 3mm high letters.
    The third saw is a small brass backed dovetail saw by Howel. The plate is 6" long and unfortunately is badly cracked.
    Hope these are of interest. P1120183.JPG P1120185.JPG P1120184.JPG P1120188.JPG P1120190.JPG P1120193.JPG P1120194.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

May I be the first to say thanks for putting these saws on here. They are, as I suspect you know, absolutely lovely - and early.

Especially the Gabriel. I can't give you an envy icon for the Howel as, by some freak chance I managed to get one a little while ago, but I can certainly award you two for the other two saws. In fact a double one for the Gabriel alone.

The Gabriel mark is interesting as it has "Warranted" stamped on it. I didn't think that this was put on saws this early but as it is a separate stamp and font I am wondering whether it was put on later for some reason. The problem with that is I don't think that bright struck marks could be done that deeply.

A conundrum which I hope someone will correct me on.

BSSM does not have the Gabriel mark and so I think that Simon will have no problem awarding you an envy icon as well.

Fred

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Welcome aboard and thanks for the very nice selection of saws.
    One of our other contributing members, Rob Brophy, brought us this Gabriel beauty a few years ago in this post
    http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/gabriel.341/
    Can't add a whole lot on that except, nice to see another.
    Really like the early Beardshaw and Howell also

All the Best
    Joe S.

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Pleased to see the registration worked ok, and doubly pleased to see the Gabriel, and the Beardshaw, but that Howel is a little gem! thanks for the pictures..

I'd be interested to hear Simon's comments on the "Warranted" Stamp, like Fred, I'd have thought it was a bit early for that mark?

Ray

5. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

Many thanks for your kind replies. Glad I have been able to add to all the other wonderful saws on the site. The Gabriel saw was the subject of some discussion in a recent Tools and Trades History Society Newsletter. One suggestion about the "Warranted" stamp was that it may have been applied by the purchasers of the Gabriel business as a marketing ploy to sell what would have become old stock. My own attempts to research the use of the term Warranted unearthed an advert for plane irons 'warranted' in an 1812 edition of The Weekly Register, Baltimore but nothing relating to saws from Gabriel's period.
    I will post a few more saws from my collection when I get a chance.

Rustyoldion

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

The Gabriel is indeed a rare beauty. I'd seen it (pictures) before when it was with a previous owner. There was a discussion then about the word Warranted and it was pointed out that it appears on flintlock pistols of "late 18th -early 19th century" and on Sheffield-made razors of 1818-1840. I have too many saw pictures (>4000) and haven't indexed them for the word, so can't pin down an early use – I think this is probably one of the earliest.
    It's interesting the the giant OED entry for Warranted is no use at all.
    I'd estimate the Beardshaw at about 1840 and the Howel at about 1800.

7. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Wow, I missed this one.

To me the Warranted look like later add-on. It is different from "Gabriel - London" stamp.

On Beardshaw - I would hesitate to date it into 1840s. Looks earlier to me... MORE PICTURES are needed here. !!!!