Littleton 14" Tenon Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by nick1854, Jun 4, 2016.

1. nick1854

nick1854 Member

DSCF0188.JPG
    DSCF0191.JPG DSCF0192.JPG DSCF0204.JPG
    This saw came in a job lot of tools. The makers mark looks like an old one (similar to those stamped on wooden planes). It has a really heavy brass back (so far I have resisted the temptation to clean it). Could this really be 1860's?

Thanks

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Nick,

The short answer is "yes", in fact BSSM has an identical mark which is placed at about 1850.

From BSSM, the Frederick Littleton (sometimes Littlejohn) name was put on saws from about 1852 to 1905 and so this would be at the very start of his saw making. The incused (thank-you for the word Joe) mark "London" is not at all common on saws this "late".

Interesting job lots that you get. I mainly get tat.:)

Fred

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Nick et al
    Nice saw. Have to agree with Fred there. Interesting that you show the end of the saw. Are you thinking this may have been truncated a little because it looks very sharp. A saw of this age would have been bruised somewhat. The name is centred so it wouldn't have been much. Could you measure the blade? An odd size might verify that.
    Wonderful saw from a sawmaker I have not come across.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

4. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Thanks Fred and Joe. It is a good point about the end of the saw Joe, most tenon saws are more "finished" whether they are steel or brass backed. It does look like it has been cut. It wasn't the reason why I took the photo, more to show the profile of the brass and the weight of it. The blade is 14.25 inches. I suppose the next size up was 16". Fred I also have had my share of average job lots of tools......this was a nice exception. I took a chance on what looked like nice handles in the photo.