Ellis late Berry

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jan 17, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

When I first heard of Hill late Howel it was the first time that I had heard the word "late" used in that context. I think today that we would probably use the phrase Hill ex Howel.

But now there is another one, Ellis late Berry.The usage of "late" is just as curious to me now as when I first read it, not least because the only other usage of the word "late" that I knew apart from the common usage one of being late, was late as in dead - The late Mr ------.

I suppose that saying "Ellis late of Berry" would make more sense, but perhaps I am merely displaying my lack of competence with the English language.

Anyway, in whatever form Mr Ellis was late Berry, there is no record of his existence and this in itself may indicate a logical conundrum.

Of Mr Berry there are plenty of records commencing 1834, according to BSSM. Said Mr Berry being a planemaker in Old Street, London.

So obsessed was I with the usage of "late" that I went to the fount of all knowledge and logical discourse, the Monty Python Dead Parrot Sketch.

I thought that the punchline was "This is a late parrot", but again I was wrong as it is, in reality, "This is an ex parrot."

And which really puts the cat amongst the pigeons for my assertions of the usage of "ex".

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

I think that I had better stop digging whilst the hole is not too deep.

Fred

Attached Files:

admin likes this.
  2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Nice to see another Monty Python fan is interested in saws. :)

Just curious, are there any records of planes marked ELLIS LATE BERRY?

3. Araldite

Araldite Guest

Here's a picture of a plane iron marked Ellis late Berry:
    [​IMG]

Vince