restoration of an unknown german backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Pastahill, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Pastahill

Pastahill Member

This was just for fun and panic. Exercise is everything. I think the saw is about 130 -140 years old, but no marks on the saw to date it exactly. The spline and the blade is heavily pitted, so i blued the spline with cold gun blue.A lot of german saws have black splines. The blade is straight but i don´t know if i should replace it. To separate everything i have to drill out the rivets carefully and replaced them with new homemade ones.
    The beech has a very deep brown colour, it´s only one coat of BLO and one coat of shellac and a few splatters of ??
    Before
    IMG_4764_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4766_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4767_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4771_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
    After
    IMG_4850_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4853_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4855_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4856_Bildgröße ändern.JPG IMG_4861_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

And now the funny thing: The size IMG_4858_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    pmcgee, wilji3035 and John Hough like this.
  2. wilji3035

wilji3035 Member

Pastahill,

What a beautiful little saw. I love the clean-up work you did to it. I believe the original craftsmen who built and used that saw would be happy to see the care you put into it.

Regards,
    Bill