Puzzled over a Tyzac backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Yorkshire Sam, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Sam

Yorkshire Sam Member

I have obtained a Tyzac backsaw and its a bit of a puzzle. You can see by the pictures that the blade is good and the fancy engraved name ( W Tyzac, sons & Turner Sheffield England including the non-pareil and elephant , No120 )
    You look at the fancy engraving which is quite extensive and think that here is something a bit special.

But then .... the handle! Nicely shaped, and comfortable but nothing really special with a rather poor finish of ( what looks like ) varnish. Even the ring around the nuts which has the name and sheffield looks and feels like plastic

Why would a maker go to all that trouble and then cut corners on the handle?

I am puzzled. Can anyone shed a little light here or am I dealing with a replacement handle?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I think that the saw is original, it is just quite a late example of a Tyzack Sons and Turner, probably latter half of the 20th century, possibly last quarter even.

I have a couple of these types of "plastic washer" medallions on modern saws somewhere. It is just a sign of the times.

But I suspect that they also wanted to keep the attractiveness of the saw where they could, hence the large impressed mark. It is relatively shallow and so shouldn't be very hard to do.

I have just tonight seen the following on Ebay. I think that it is identical to yours but brand new.

Fred

Attached Files:

3. Yorkshire Sam

Yorkshire Sam Member

yes definitely the same one ... plastic disc is in better condition. Might just titivate the saw and see if it can be improved as its quite a hefty saw and the blade, though a little mucky is in good nick... nothing to lose and I need the practise!:)

4. Virgil

Virgil Member

Hello folks.

Am resurrecting this one. Anyone know when the plastic washer came in? Was it always black? What was written on it? I'm currently restoring (? Perhaps just de-crappifying) a no13 and it has approx 3/5th of the washer left. Am hoping to fashion a new one (I have a friend with a laser cutter...!) and need to know what I need to write to fool the customers, I mean emulate and stay true to its original appearance.
    Cheerio,
    Virg.

5. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Virgil,
    Here is an image I found on the internet. Hopefully that will help.
    Bob
    tyzack.jpg

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Different colours of plastic – and metal with some firms – for different qualities of saw. The plastic ones were a 70s fashion, I think.
    Here's a picture from the 1950 catalogue showing what this model looked like before it went down hill. Sheffield could still turn out a fine saw then. IMG_3687.JPG