Three medallion Peace

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Dec 15, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I bought this specifically for the medallions. Other than these it is probably quite a run-of-the-mill saw, and even with these it is just as probably not exceptional by Joseph Peace's standards for decoration.

A few posts ago I was corrected by Simon when I assumed that "Best" stamped on a saw meant just that - best steel being used in its manufacture. But this is not necessarily the case.

I hope that this one is an exception that proves the rule. (See medallion pic.). It would be sad if this saw is a third rater or worse.

This saw is probably at the latter end of the mixed case Sheffield mark (1870 -ish??), but it does put a date which is earlier than I thought to the usage of (what I consider to be the awful) orange /yellow varnish that was applied to handles.

Apologies for the distorted look of the handle. The image was taken from the base of the saw-blade looking upwards. I'll take a proper handle image and put it on.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Enviably fine hand saw, Fred. Any evidence that it's been across the Atlantic? To buttress my theory that triple medallions are usually/always/sometimes [which is it?] on export models only? The "Best" is here, I'm sure, pure marketing bling. Not much later than 1870-ish, I think.

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

If this saw did go to America Simon, then it made its way back to Southampton.

But its last home being Southampton, it is possible that such a trip was made. The seller looks like he/she is a tool dealer and would probably have very little to add to the debate.

Can I take it from your penultimate sentence that this saw was of a lesser quality and as a result I'll be a very unhappy bunny over Christmas. (Can't get the smilies to work).

Fred