Partial name

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Dec 3, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This one came from the USA. There was no name visible when I got it and the name is still incomplete and very indistinct to put it mildly.

I think that it is possibly "CARRINGTON" but all that I can see with any certainty is the "TON" at the end. In front of that is what looks like a partial "C", "G", or "O" and in front of that are two top serifs that could be an "N" or an"H".

I think that I can see the shadow of an "I" before that, and before the "I" are what looks like two identical letters which could be a "R", "P" or at an outside chance a "B".

The space before that is blank (possibly an "A" but the most indistinct of all) and I am pretty sure that the first letter is a "C"

The saw looks to me to be 1830's (no dot in cast steel) but I cannot find a Carrington remotely related to saw making in any directory between 1822 and 1841.

So, am I on the right track with the name or if not are there any other suggestions.

The photo's that I have posted have minimal pixels but I will post a larger file photo on the off-chance that someone who knows how to do it (not me I am afraid) can mess around with the contrast and magnification to see whether anything else comes up.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

Its easier to do a 2nd post than edit the first and so I attach two larger file photo's for anyone who has the ability and the desire to try to make something of the mark and an image of the full mark for what it is worth.

Fred

Sorry the image of the name only is too big for the server to process. What is the maximum size of image that I can attach to this thread??

Attached Files:

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,
    I had to go and check, it was 1024 K, but I've increased it to 2048K ( 2Mbytes) maximum 10 per message.
    Ray

PS There are a couple of Carrington's in the EAIA directory, but none identified as saw makers.

4. Bancroft3

Bancroft3 Member

For what it's worth, I studied the stamping at high magnification and it sure does appear to me to be CARRINGTON & Co.
    Brian

5. fred0325

Thank-you both,

My files were 2.22 and 2.32mb, if I put the pixels at one level lower I will probably be able to put it on here.

Its nice to know that someone else thinks it is Carrington as well. I was wavering yesterday when I magnified it to the full extent that I could and thought that the 4th letter could have been a "B". That would really have messed things up.

Fred

6. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

Having another look at EAIA, there is one possible, that is Miles A Carrington New Haven CT, 1856 1857 he isn't referred to as a saw maker, but as a maker of wooden planes.

But failing any other choices, I'd keep him on the list. Having said that, to my eye the saw looks earlier than 1856?

Ray

7. fred0325

Hi Ray,

Thanks for looking.

I should really have put the full mark on the first set of photographs, but I deleted it from my computer by mistake when I was sorting out the best ones from the 15 that I had taken. Hence two close-up marks put on initially, not one close up and one full mark as intended

It does say "Sheffield " on the photograph that I added and so apologies are in order for putting you to what must have been a lot of trouble.

To me the saw and the style of mark look to be early to mid 1830's.

This is possibly one that will remain a mystery as to whom the mark refers.

Fred

8. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

A few merchants/dealers used "Sheffield" as a quality mark (eg Thomas Bradburn, of Birmingham – pic on p159 of BSSM) – when I can't find someone I've been known to fall back on that as a rather feeble explanation. Oh for the old historicaldirectories website.