Little User Made? Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by wilji3035, Oct 15, 2014.

1. wilji3035

wilji3035 Member

It may very well be that this saw is not of interest here, but the way it is assembled caught my attention. There are no markings on the saw plate, and a WS label screw. My guess is that the saw plate is the remains of a once healthy saw, and the handle may or may not have matched it.

It appears that the handle edge of the plate was crudely ground to fit into the handle slot. The slot ground/punched for the label screw is interesting, as it would seem unnecessary. The same is true for the curved indent that makes the plate back seem to flow into the handle. The handle and the holes in it are what I found most interesting. Looking at the handle from the face, as the plate fits now the hole at the top right is not used or needed. That same hole appears to have had a screw in it, but it would have had to be a very small shank. I cannot tell what the handle may have been attached to previously, or how. Were there only two screws (both steel, one not shown), or might there have been two or three rivets (these are copper)? If only two screws were used, I would think it must have been a small saw, but the handle is not shaped for use as a common back saw.

Any thoughts/comments? Given that I am new to identifying saws, does my train of thought make any sense?

Odd Saw - Entire.JPG Odd Saw - Handle Face.JPG Odd Saw - Separated.JPG

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Bill
    I think you are pretty much bang on with the saw handle and blade marriage. It probably was made to fit in a carrying case. The handle certainly predates the silver WS label screw. I almost think the only way to have sharpened it was to have removed the handle since it seems the teeth go into the handle. I am sure it does the job but may be a bit awkward to use if not stable.

Cheers
    Joe S.

3. wilji3035

wilji3035 Member

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your post. I hadn't thought of this saw being used in a carrying case. Makes perfect sense. Sharpening is another issue, as this poor little thing is duller than a garden hoe. So, I haven't tried using it yet. I'm not sure how well it will really work, as the saw plate is so thin that I'm afraid it will tend to kink. It feels like the handle is heavier than the plate!

Perhaps I'll make use of the handle on another saw someday, or try my hand at making a saw. That's not something I've attempted yet. I just don't know at the moment what size, shape or attachment method (rivets, screws) would work best with this handle.

Regards,
    Bill