saw help needed - german steel?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by schmidtwj, Aug 24, 2013.

1. schmidtwj

schmidtwj Member

I have another saw I'm trying to identify. It is 26", 7ppi, crosscut, handle is London pattern (flat bottom). I think I can make out some of the stamp:
    (J?)-O-H-N-?-I-(S?)-L-Y in an arc
    under this in a line... A-N -(.?)-S-T-E-E-(L?)
    I'm thinking probably GERMAN STEEL.
    The saw plate is thick and heavy (compared to the Kenyon I posted about in May)
    Attached are pictures. The stamp picture isn't the greatest.
    I've gone through HSMOB, and there are not many names that end in LY that could fit, so I may be looking in the wrong direction.
    Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

and welcome to the site. I am not going to be much help at all, but looking at the serifs on the bottom of the "E's" in German Seel and the shadow of a centre bar - you may have that on the penultimate letter of the name as well, making your "LY" an "EY".

The nearest that I can then get is John Moseley but I don't think that the letter spacings are right for that.

Unless, of course it is a name that is not in HSMOB. In which case it will be reliant on someone knowing the name and which is, alas, not me.:(

Fred

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

(J?)-O-H-N-?-I-(S?)-L-Y in an arc

I think we can lock in JOHN as the first name... and last letter of the surname as Y and further the surname is 5 letters... ( starting to sound like a word puzzle! )

JOHN _ _ _ E Y
    JOHN _ _ _ L Y

Possible matches...

JOHN EDLEY
    JOHN PACEY
    JOHN SORBY

None of those seem to be a good match to the bits of the etch that are visible, so I guess the search continues...

Just guessing at the general era, I'd say first half of the 1800's

Regards
    Ray

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey All

Nothing like a good guessing game. I am always amazed at some of the detail a camera picks up that the eye never catches even though it is in your hands. This is all guessing also but if I squeeze the eyes and hold my breath I find I come up with something different than everyone else. I don't think there is a first name there but I can construe that first "oh" into a "UN" and probably come up with the HSMB aided "C.Hundley" London 1808-1826 which would put this in perfectly with the time period suggested. Spacing issues but who knows.
    Only guessing here.....
    Joe S.

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

saw help needed

Guessing, like everyone else here.

I think though that if I could have a bigger pixel image sent to my email address I could tinker with it and have a better idea.

The handle certainly looks like a typical London maker from post 1850 - not that that is anything like definitive enough.

Thanks Simon (barleys@mac.com)

6. schmidtwj

schmidtwj Member

more pictures

Here are pictures of the front and back of the handle and two new pictures of the stamp.
    Thanks for everyone's help. When I looked at this saw a few months back I considered the EY vs LY ending and thought about EDLEY, PACEY and SORBY but couldn't convince myself on any.
    The C HUNDLEY idea is a different twist that I didn't consider.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Attached Files:

7. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

I see that the first entry on Ray's checklist is a John Ainley ???

Paul