McMahon London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Mar 17, 2013.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

There are lots of McMahons both in Sheffield and London and they range from the 2nd quartile of the 19th century to the 1st quartile of the 20th, and they are spread over a large number of directories.

I have done a search a some of them, but not all as many of the London ones refer to the suburbs.

This saw is quite late as I think that there are traces of orange /yellow varnish left on it. There are three possibilities. That it is really a McMahon (London), which I doubt. That it is a brand, which is possible, or that it is a McMahon (Sheffield) stamped as London to give it a bit of kudos. I favour this last option.

I don't know why, it just looks like one of those saws.

But, as always I am ready to be corrected if anyone has any better ideas.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. sweaders

sweaders Member

mcmahon j london

hi fred ive just looked in my little book and can see same named saw as your one. but the difference is i have mine listed as 26 inch vvg .this being the case i should be able to add some photograph it and help with this subject .cheers pat

3. fred0325

Thanks for that Pat,

It may enable me to sort out a likely date for the company/brand so that I don't have to look through so many directories.

It must be nice to have your saws cataloged. I must get round to doing mine sometime. But even if I knew what I had I would still, then, have to find them.:(

They are currently scattered in many places throughout the house and in numerous sheds.

Fred

4. sweaders

sweaders Member

mcmahon

hi fred i had quick look for my mcm saw and it has not come to hand .it seems it could be one of the few that i ve managed to sell sorry about that .changing the subject some ,do you know of [w r fletcher leader st. chelsea ] i do [i think ]have a14inch tenon saw .but what i definitely have are several brass spines alone. the supposed 14inch fletcher is much much heavier than the rest . dra/sand, r sorby, tyz/turn. sp/jack. in fact the drab/sand is16inches weighing in at 513 gramms while the 14 inch fletcher comes in at 522 gramms
    ,i don,t think my fletcher is brass backed but i,ll try to fish it out ,and put some pictures up with some of the spines cheers pat

5. fred0325

Hi Pat,

Fletchers, it looks like also traded under the name of Taylor, London.

If you go to:-

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=152

and then to Deesinister's post 10 you will see an extract from the London Gazette about the said Fletcher.

I put more of the article on in post 13 and also tidy up some of the computer scan's misreading.

Hope that it clears it up a bit.

Fred

Don't worry about the McMahon, something will come up sooner or later.