Alfred Beckett theories on double stamps?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by need2boat, Sep 17, 2012.

1. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

This Alfred Beckett backsaw is open handle and one I picked up a few months ago and just making it to the bench.

Wondering if anyone knows why or has a theory on the use of double stamps.

At first I thought it was a owners mark but looking at it closer it looks like it's a Alfred Beckett Co. stamp over stamped with Alfred Beckett and Sons. That just seems odd to me. The maker must have know the double up would just make a mess and unreadable.

I'm guessing it could be the equivalent to makers using demo, Blem, or sample to to distinguish between regular secondary? That said the handle, plate and even the back other then the stamp all look fine.

Joe

Yes I'm also a sucker for conspiracy theories. ;-)

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Joe
    To actually add more Mystery to your question might be to ask what the relationship between A Beckett and A Brooksbank is. The "under stamp" or "over stamp" whichever way you want to look at it has A Brooksbank and not A Beckett as the stamp. Amazing what pics can reveal. Two saw makers. Someone might be able to fill us in on that relationship. HHSB doesn't show us any.
    Great Stuff
    Joe S.

3. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

and the plot thickens. . . . i love it.

Joe