“Late” - as in HILL LATE HOWEL

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by shoarthing, Dec 21, 2021.

1. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

I’ve searched for some while & can find no contemporary reference to Joseph Vaughan Hill being an apprentice to, waged employee, foreman, or partner of - or indeed having any relationship in life to: Joseph Howell of Chelsea.

The sole connection I have seen is an trade advertisement of 1849, where Mr Hill describes himself as “successor to the late J. Howel” . . . .

Can anyone recall seeing a solid contemporary source showing any relationship? If so, I would very much appreciate a link.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

Did he perhaps just purchase the company , lock stock and barrel after the passing of Howell ?

3. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

Rather than throw out the stock that was already produced and stamped he could’ve simply added his name until he ran out of stock from the previous owner .

4. David

David Most Valued Member

Perhaps you should contact Simon Barley. He states in BSSM that J V Hill was foreman to J Howell. I'm sure he wouldn't say that without some documentation.

5. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

Thank you for the suggestion - but I have not seen sources to support that . . . .

. . . . the key issue is J V Hill had just turned 13 when Joseph Howell died at 83 . . . bequeathing (I’ve read his Will) the continuation of his sawmaking business to his son & daughter, for their & his widow’s benefit.

I can find no record of J V Hill being assigned to Joseph Howell as a pauper apprentice/parish apprentice: . . . in the early 1820s & in their respective parishes, such involuntary apprenticeships of children aged around 12/13 y.o. in families receiving Poor Relief were not uncommon; tho’ the customary age for parents to voluntarily enter their child into an indenture-with-premium in London’s skilled trades remained 14 years.

Unless J V Hill *was* a pauper apprentice; it’s a challenge to see a relationship with Joseph Howell in life - they reside in different areas of London, do not appear to be familially related, there’s a 70 year age-gap, & Hill’s father follows a different trade.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Charlie Earnest likes this.