Yet another cutler's saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Creating a check list of names on saws has made me realise that there are far far more dealers, ironmongers and factors of saws than there were what you could call true saw makers.

I got this one on ebay because I couldn't read the maker's name, and the trade mark/logo was new to me. Getting it home to clean it up didn't make the name any clearer at all, as the picture shows, but I was able to identify the TM from the 1919 Register of Trade Marks of the Cutlers' Company of Sheffield, a book that runs to 1887 marks spread over about 100 pages (to be reprinted by the Tools and Trades History Society for its members sometime not far distant).

I couldn't tell if the mark was meant to be a dragonfly, a butterfly or just an insect, but the butterfly turned out to be the one, the mark of John Moreton & Co, a fairly small-time cutler who originated in Wolverhampton and came to Sheffield (working mainly via a manager) in the 1870s and the name eventually disappearing in 1929.
    The saw is a 12inch iron back of standard design, maybe 1st quality, maybe second. Useful to complete a collection, but not one to get the blood racing.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

MORETON
    JOHN MORETON & CO.
    Wolverhampton, Sheffield and London
    ea. 1876 - (1919)
    Cutlery, knives, forks, etc., and
    electro-plated goods
    Ref. 1892, 1919, 1974

Here, page 163, shows the butterfly and other trademarks.

3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Moreton, John (, & Co. Ltd. Manufacturers of pen & pocket knives).
    Residing at 101 Eyre Street, in 1911.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

Moreton, John & Co. (, Manufacturers of pen & pocket knives & general merchants).
    Residing at 96 Carver Street, Sheffield in 1905.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield &Rotherham.

Here.

I really didn't expect to find anything.

5. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Whats with the 1974 reference ??? a resurrection ?

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I have no idea.

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thanks for all that extra info, Toby.
    I may have been unfair in describing him as "small -time", although in Sheffield I think he probably was, and retained his major base and output in Staffordshire.
    Is the 1974 ref simply his appearance in the list of pocket-knife makers?