Woollin and Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Aug 30, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

For those of you who were watching this saw, or even bidding on it then you will know the very silly price that I paid for it. There have not been many saws that I have "had to have", but this is one.

Thanks to Simon for doing the research on it. The firm was table knife manufacturer/cutler/merchant in Sheffield in/around 1825 and it was probably factored for them as opposed to being made by them.

It has a straight blade and is still reasonably sharp. Unlike many of my saws, it is almost certainly a "user", except for the fact that the nuts at the rear have lost their slots and it is therefore impossible to tighten the handle without doing things to it that I don't want to, and will not, do.

It does have a nice reclining ampersand though.

Fred

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  2. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

Such a handsome, yet modest saw: . Took me quite a while to find this - George IV (then Wm IV) quite my favourite periods for style & function.

May I ask for a summary of “Woollin & Co” info, please?

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Shoarthing, your data seems to dovetail:) with Simon's suggestion that the saw was factored for Woollin, and not manufactured by him or his business partners

David likes this.