WK Peace Sheffield Steel Backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by steveatkinson, Jun 12, 2015.

1. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

WK peace, well very pleased , the seller had rubbed the center of the back and decided there was no visible maker mark to be seen, a little further off of center , W K Peace Steel Back brass saw nuts, looks early, style and shape/ position photo(114).JPG
    of the handle.
    photo(117).JPG

WK Peace Bottom , W Tyzack Sons & Turner Middle also stamped 1916, top is a W Marples & Sons Special looks to be 1970 or very close.
    Any one with more accurate dates I am all ears. Bottom 2 14" long top 12"

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Steve,

I cannot find a WK Peace mark as such in BSSM and so I am a little lost as to any reasonably accurate dating, but I do notice that the handle seems to have traces of orange/yellow varnish left on it and which I associate with saws after about 188o.

The nose to the saw back is not rounded and so I would probably put it at the earlier end of these dates.

As always I stand to be corrected

Fred

The Marples, I do not have the faintest idea, but 1970 looks close enough to me.

3. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    I thought this year I was going to get to more car boot sales and auctions, alas, I am still for my sins buying from ebay, I have yet to get out to a boot sale. For all my complaining, I did good, or at least I think so, this WK Peace, I do like the shape, the way the handle is fitted, it is still nice and tight as well. There were 2 time periods that caught my attention, very early on around the early 1820's then again around 1865 to 79, ( looks like you might be bang on with your date) when this type of stamp was most likely to have been used, this is all based upon the fact it is the WK peace that I am thinking it is of the USA firm of WK & C Peace, I have only given this spine a light rub with the wire wool, it still has a thick coating over most of it, fingers crossed I might revel further info, although I have my doubts that there is any thing further on the spine.
    Re the Marples at the Top, it looks like the spine and blade are both etched, neither stamped, now if I rub that with the wire wool it will be the last we see of it. Plus I am sure it has 1977 written on the handle