WILLMOTT NEW YORK THREE STARS meat or butchers saw ??

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Piney56, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Pretty fancy saw for doing butchering work.It has nice detail from the metal work to the handle.The depth of the blade is 2" for the most part,also the blade is stamped with the three stars and some very very small lettering.Am I correct in referring this to be a butcher or meat saw.Thanks David IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2037.JPG IMG_2039.JPG

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi David,
    Yes, a butcher or meat saw. It's not very common to find one with the same stamp on the blade and the spine. Although several makers seem to have used three stars as a mark, they're most commonly found on saws produced by the saw works at Sing Sing Prison in the 1850's although, on the basis of two early saws I have, I think the practice was started by the NYC branch of the Sheffield firm, Ibbotson Bros. The top hook on the handle and the lambs tongue also indicate such a possible dating for the saw.
    Although the blade is tensionable, I've never been able to decide whether they changed out the blade when it got too thin from sharpening or just bought a new saw. Driving out the old pin and putting in a new one with the new blade seems like something more than the butcher might want to accomplish on his own. Perhaps they sent them out to be done? Or maybe cutting meat and bone didn't really dull the saw? I've not seen many examples that look filed down from repeated sharpenings. It's all a wonder.
    David

3. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Thanks David for your reply. I was leaning towards it being a meat saw , just that I've never seen one or do I own one with such a stout blade. Regards David

4. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Also David thanks again for the information about the sing sing prison. Another great piece of information I've learned since joining this site. Thanks David