WARRANTED SUPERIOR unusual handle

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Piney56, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Hello, does anyone else think that reverse birdsmouth is used for two handed sawing.Also any ideas of its origin of manufacturer.Someone thought the best way to clean it was with wire wheel so no chance of finding any marks on the blade,I purchased it for its handle pattern anyways.It has the warranted superior medallion with an 1869 patent date. Thanks David

Attached Files:

2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi David,

Nice handle, perhaps a wheeler madden & clemson saw?

Regards

Mari

3. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Hi Mari, yes I also think it's a neat style handle. Thanks for the starting point of wheeler madden and Clemson co. Regards David

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

The Holden patent style handle is as you guessed it, designed for the thumb of the "other" hand to assist in ripping. I really don't understand why some people feel that using wire wheels on a saw plate is a good idea, you have my sympathies there...:)

Regards

Mari

5. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Thank you Mari,I will investigate the Holden patent,at least they didn't do antything ridiculous to the handle. David

6. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

DATAMP says the Holden Patent was licensed to Baldwin Robbins & Co (a wholesale hardware merchant), and to Wheeler Madden & Clemson Co (sawmakers)
    http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=216091&id=7363&set=8
    So I'd guess your saw with its Warranted Superior label screw was made by WMC for a retailer client, or made for Baldwin & Robbins (either by WMC or by some other sawmaker supplier)
    That handle design was popular with R H Smith Co and used on several of their saw models, but all such saws I've seen had cap screw hardware rather than the spit nut screws on your saw, and were likely only made after the original patent had expired (Picture shows some R H Smith saws)
    P1030444.JPG

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.