W.I.Horn & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Underthedirt, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

I've had this little saw for a while, I purchased it because of the lovely saw tooth bordered stamps & crowns, the user applied etching to the rear is kind of cool- Joseph Kemp 1847, it's a 10" brass backed dovetail saw, the handle has had 3 x repairs, so it's a well loved little saw.

The back stamps are different to the examples in BSSM, so I thought I'd post it up here.

BSSM has William Ibbetson Horn & Co from 1833-1871.

Regards

Mari

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Mari,

Not long after I joined this site, Joe introduced me to the word "incused" (as opposed to incised) - a word which I had never encountered before but which describes the style of your stamp. You could also call it embossed I think.

But however it is described, it is still a pretty and a striking stamp.

It also got me searching my collection for what I thought was a stamp much the same as yours but, having found it, while it is incused, it does have differences and it is no match in niceness (or earliness?) for yours. But here it is. (It is also very similar to one in BSSM, but it looks like the BSSM one is a normal stamp.)

Fred

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Mari and Fred
    Both of those are great saws. Just to clarify Fred's description of the stamp, I would say all of your stamp is embossed. Fred's has the combo, Name stamp embossed and the Cast Steel incused.
    Mari, I think that it is a little older than Fred's saw as he has pointed out. Pre 1847 anyways, Wonderful. The other thing that is unusual is the cut out and restoration around the split nuts on the reverse side. Great execution on someones part. Wonder what happened there that that was needed?
    Great stuff
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Underthedirt likes this.
  4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thank-you for correcting me so politely Joe,

I probably never got it right in the first place of have mixed the concepts up in the intervening time period.

I did equate the concept of incused marks with embossed marks and normal stamps with incised marks, but I am happy to stand corrected.

I shall never rely on my memory again. ;)

Fred

Underthedirt likes this.
  5. Underthedirt

Hi Fred & Joe,

Thanks for your replies to this thread...:)

Fred, your saw is absolutely gorgeous- that arched stamp looks fantastic! I'd love to see the inside of your shed- it must be a real Aladdins cave.

Joe, this was definitely a well loved saw by generations of craftsmen, hence the multiple repairs to keep it going.

If I squint my eyes a little the ampersand doesn't look completely vertical but not nearly a fallen ampersand, also the plate end at the toe is not cut square at 90° at all.

Regards

Mari

6. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Mari, for posting a beautiful little saw, I really like the lines of the front of that handle.

The details of the repair and the Joseph Kemp etching tell a story of a well loved saw that has survived over 170 years.

Underthedirt likes this.
  7. Underthedirt

Thanks for your reply Ray, its one of those saws that just feels right in the hand & it carries its age well...:)

Regards

Mari

8. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Nice one, Mari. Mr Horn certainly liked his crowns. The one illustrated in BSSM (c1860) has crowns of a slightly different style: presumably his mark punch of the 1840s had had to be replaced 20 years later.

Simon

Underthedirt likes this.
  9. Underthedirt

Cheers Simon, you can't have too many crown stamps, the more the better in my opinion...;)

Regards

Mari