Unknown saw with a difference

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray et al.
    Unfortunately the stamp is long gone but it needed some "lovin" for a couple of reasons. A few years ago at a tool show Kiwi suggested this would be a wonderful saw for the herd and I have never regretted the purchase. It is one of the finest in my collection. I am hoping someone might give me an idea as to possible maker and the only way is by recognizing similarities by the handle.
    The saw is a steel back 16" , tapering 2 1/4 "to 31/2" heal to toe. The very vague " steel" and a "& co" preceding it is on the spine. Dating it from this would be just a guess. The thing that makes this saw stand out for me is the handle. It is a closed figured beech handle in the London Pattern style. I have tried to capture the very delicate lambs tongue in the pictures and have never seen one as delicate and survive so long. There are two split nut connectors and at some point one has been flipped so the slot is on the other side. The delicacy is also emphasized since the handle thickness is less than 3/4". Fine to say the least.
    Anyone have an idea?
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

It's a real beauty, Joe, and how frustrating not to have a maker. It's undoubtedly early, and there are one or two features that don't seem to fit with the usual English style. First, and here I feel I'm maybe being a bit silly, but is this wood beech? Obviously you've had it in your hand and looked at it all round, but the figure is unusual for English beech, I would have said: hard to say about the colour, in a photograph. The iron (not steel, I would say, at that date) back is more rounded than I would expect in an era of chamfered backs.
    Overall is the problem which is being touched on in the contributions to Fred's Harrison, which is that we have so few examples of saws of the pre-18oo period that we have real difficulty in setting down hard and fast rules about appearance and date-ability. I feel pretty lost with this one.

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Simon
    I wondered about the wood and I am glad someone questioned it. I have seen beech planes with the tight grain like this but the flat grain swirls I am not familiar with. I might have thought it to be some sort of walnut but I am more familiar with the black walnut here and it isn't that. It isn't a fruit wood like cherry. Maybe some one else has a good idea.
    Thanks
    Joe S.

4. David

David Most Valued Member

Here are two Kenyon handsaw handles that perhaps present the same wood questions. I think they're both beech (certainly the second one is), but haven't had them tested to confirm that judgment.
    David
    KenyonAfront.jpg KenyonArear.jpg KenyonBfront.jpg KenyonBrear.jpg

Charlie Earnest and pmcgee like this.
  5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

V useful extra info, David. Thanks. (and the most pointed nose to a handle I've ever seen).