Turner, London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by greyhound, May 26, 2017.

1. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

Another saw from today's batch.
    This is a little 10" dovetail saw which I am so happy to be able to acquire. I love everything about this one — its proportions, the handle, the brass back, how it fits my hand, how it's balanced and even how it's been preserved (or not preserved...)
    Again, the only entry for Turner (John), London in BSSM puts this saw between 1832-41. If this is the one, I will be very "happy chappie".
    There's no picture of this makers stamp in the book, so, if I am correct, linking this saw to the John Turner, London I'm happy to provide a high-res picture. The size of the stamp is only over 14mm (just shy of 15mm).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi again,

There is no other maker in BSSM that comes anywhere near to John Turner as a possible maker and so I assume that I am speaking to a happy chappie.

It is interesting that John Turner is listed as a Saw maker and a truss maker. I am assuming that his trusses are are of more use in supporting structures than they are hernias.:rolleyes:

Fred

3. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

Thank you, Fred
    This saw sold together with the Hopkinson and, I assume|hope|speculate, is very likely that they came from the same workshop and era.
    S.