Thomson and Co. Ltd. Calcutta

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, May 27, 2017.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Although this saw was almost certainly made in the UK, from what research I have done, T E Thomson and Co. was definitely an all Indian firm, being sold in 1947 to the Maharaja of Nepal.

Rather than repeat myself I will go straight to a cut and paste from here.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7abf6c11-08c7-44f4-8cf2-539fb6329076

"The first representative of the Wolverhampton firm of Shaw & Crane (later John Shaw & Sons) in India was Thomas E Thomson (an early traveller for the firm). He established T E Thomson & Company in 1834 at 2 Old Court House Street, Calcutta. The nature of the business was an "indent business" - it took orders from native firms, then transmitted them home for execution. However, extensive stocks were kept from the outset..................

The earlier stocks were primarily railway supplies, but the business later developed into a large wholesale and retail concern, carrying heavy stocks of hardware, tools, machine tools, pumps and agricultural implements..................(Bold mine)

Following the deaths of E D Shaw and T W Shaw in England in 1886 and 1887 respectively, T E Thomson & Co was registered as a limited liability company, at the same time as its parent company, John Shaw and Sons......................

In 1947, "TET and Co", as it had become familiarly known, was sold to the Maharaja of Nepal."

BSSM does not have this particular company registered and they probably shouldn't as they were an Indian company, albeit a subsidiary of John Shaw and Sons, about which they do have an entry. It finishes off by saying that it is doubtful that they made their own saws.

The fact that my saw is "& Co. Ltd", puts it after 1887, something that I would not argue with, there being some awful orange/yellow varnish left on the handle.

Fred

There is a very faint etch on the blade as well which the camera cannot pick up.

Attached Files: