Thompson & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Oct 3, 2017.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

From the stash, possibly J Thompson & Co,
    well used, 14" blade, although only 12" has teeth and the unusable 2" under/into the handle is now not toothed
    letter before "Thompson" may be a "J"
    (name measurement; "Thompson" is 21mm, excluding preceding "J" and following "& Co")
    P1030528.JPG
    P1030527.JPG

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. David

David Most Valued Member

A real nice saw, Kiwi, with a fine polished handle. Thanks for opening your stash. Now just which J Thompson do you think it is? Hull, Liverpool or Sheffield? To me, they all seem good possibilities from the first decades of the 19c. In any case, you've given us another great addition to the history.
    David

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

The thing that strikes me about this saw apart from endorsing David's praise is the curious or possibly slapdash nature of the name-stamp.

The gap between the letters T H and O is quite regular. Then you come to larger gaps (but still regular) between the O and M and the M and P.

Then things really go awry between the P and the S and the O and the N.

I think that it adds a lot of character to an already characterful saw.

Fred

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

David, I don't have a preference for which Thompson it might have been. Maybe Fred has found the answer, if the letter spacing matches the local dialect for a long drawn out ending to the name pronunciation ?

I forgot to mention that the spine on this saw is tapered, by about 3mm (1/8"), from 22mm to 19mm

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

"if the letter spacing matches the local dialect for a long drawn out ending to the name pronunciation ?"

I am not aware of there being a lot of saw manufacturers in Somerserrrrt. But I live in hope of being corrected.

Fred

David likes this.