The Edgbaston Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I picked up a saw at auction yesterday... it's pretty nondescript, and looks like 20th century, but the mark on the spine said "The Edgbaston Saw" One for the cricket buff's maybe.

[​IMG]

I doubt it would be made in Birmingham? Maybe a dealer?

Ray

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I think I may be able to help here, Ray.
    Book entry as follows, with two saws to illustrate; I haven't been able to locate the firm itself, which would necessitate a visit to the new B'ham public library, where they have an incomparable collection of trades directories on open shelves. The two saws are both cheap second (or worse) quality tools, backsaws which I would date at 1910-1920. The second one I have guessed as William Fletcher and Son, Birmingham:

FLETCHER, William & Son BIRMINGHAM
    Not identified. The second mark is only assumed to be from this firm. Edgbaston is a suburb of Birmingham [yes, where the international cricket ground is, but also the wealthiest part, full of big rich Victorian houses].

PS Ray: As you can see, your mark is a new one to me - there's just time to insert it in the book, if you could be kind enough to send me a bigger pixellated image.Thanks a lot, Simon

Attached Files:

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that, I've emailed a higher resolution image. The auction was a traditional farm clearing sale type auction, with people milling about... much more interesting than ebay :)

The was a nice little Slack Sellers panel saw, but it got bundled with a heap of other stuff and I missed it. I did however score a largish leg vise in fairly good order.

Ray