Sykes

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Mar 30, 2018.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,
    We've seen plenty of Kenyons and some Kenyon and Sykes handsaws here, but I believe this is the first Sykes handsaw to appear. According to BSSM, Sykes was apparently in business for 37 years, 1786 to 1823 while the Kenyon & Sykes partnership only ran for 11 years, 1809-1820. It would seem that we should see more saws marked Sykes than those marked Kenyon & Sykes, but we just don't. On this one, the Y in Sykes looks more like a V.

I got this example from a fellow who liked to clean up his saws; sanding and urethaneing the handle, and polishing his saw screws. In an effort to bring it back to how I like to see these old saws, I've stripped the urethane and added some color to the handle to bring it in line with other saws I have of this age. And if I find the right screws, I'll replace his, which seem to be the wrong ones anyway, being 9/16" nuts on the front and 1/2" screws on the rear. This saw should have just the reverse. And the repair to the top edge should be addressed again to make it conform to the top edge of the saw. Still, all that can be done without much trouble for a saw such as this is, to make it relatively whole again.
    David

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

David
    A valiant save to a "hens tooth" example of an early maker. If it ever gets completed to your satisfaction, post a pic of the completed effort.
    Joe S.

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Interesting to see the three crowns stamped on such an early saw (and I see the same on a Kenyon saw stamp illustrated in BSSM)

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi David, that is just gorgeous, its got one of the most pointed handles that I've seen, also the K in Sykes is very much like the early "curvy" K in the older Kenyons.
    Do you have any history on this saw?

Regards

Mari

5. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello folks,
    Joe, I'll certainly post pictures of it when I'm done bringing it back. Be very patient!

Since the three crowns show up on many of the similar appearing Kenyons we've seen, Kiwi, I don't think it's much of a surprise to see them on a Sykes saw as well. In fact, yesterday I just won in an auction a handsaw blade (I just threw away the 1950's replacement handle) die stamped Boulsover & Co (with a wonderful italic ampersand) that is also stamped with the three crowns. BSSM has sawmaking dates for Boulsover of 1760-1774. I think that the three crowns mark begins to be used much earlier than we usually think.

Thanks, Mari, I really like the pointed handle as well, and I also have one Kenyon with the same detail (image attached), but it's certainly uncommon. It's easy to imagine that both Kenyon and Sykes may have had their "curvy" K stamps made by the same shop about the same time, likely by the fellow next door or just around the corner. Unfortunately, I don't know this saws history. I bought it from a fellow in Missouri, but our use of the internet doesn't provide much in the way of accurate provenance.
    David

Attached Files:

6. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Wow, that Kenyon looks very early, only 2 fixings also & they look like iron rivets? I can't wait to see pictures of your Boulsover & Co plate, that is an incredible find, it's nice to know that it's going to a good home with excellent company....:)

Regards

Mari