Spear Jackson & Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jun 2, 2017.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Some time ago on Ebay there was a back saw (I think, I wasn't the buyer), where, from the marking it was obvious that it had at first been marked "Spear" and then later "Jackson". Thus putting it at the changeover between the two companies.

When I first saw this I thought that, from the style of marking, it might have been the same syndrome, a Spear followed later by a Jackson and Co. But then, when I got the saw, I saw that there was "German Steel" (probably) under the Jackson. (The "N" of German is under the "S" of Jackson.)

This knocked this idea on the head somewhat as I am doubtful whether or not there would have been that amount of space left under "Spear" alone before German Steel was added. If there was that much space left then it was fortuitous that "Jackson & Co. could have been neatly inserted in-between.

However, never mind what the pros and cons of that are, I hope that the saw is from the very early era when the companies changed over marks from Spear to Spear and Jackson. I (at least) have never seen a Spear Jackson and Co. before.

Fred

The saw also "looks" about right for the early 1830's.

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

What a great find, Fred. It was probably a really narrow window of time when they were marked as Spear, Jackson & Co. so you've surely got a rare saw. As well as another nice early handsaw for your pile. Congratulations (tinged with the slightest, hardly noticeable, bit of envy).
    David

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi David,

Thanks for that.

The saw was on buy-it-now and was not too expensive as such, although the postage and export duty from the US is another matter. As is the current exchange rate.:(

I think that it had only been posted for a couple of hours out of its 30 day run.

This one, therefore is purely the luck of the draw (so to speak).

Fred