simonds help

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by robert, Jul 4, 2014.

1. robert

robert Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. robert

robert Active Member

disregard the atkins etch. some how it fell into the mix.

3. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

That's a cool pic of the hardware store, Robert. I've not seen another Simonds with a plate on the bottom of the handle like that. Here is a link to the 1923 Simonds catalog. Perhaps you can find a match there.

4. Bushmiller

Bushmiller New Member

Hello Robert

Sorry this is only ten months late. Your saw is most probably a No.8A. The "A" designation was only given to those saws with the metal guard beneath the handle. However, although I have five different catlogues of Simonds saws, I am still to find a reference or picture of the saws with the guard. I have two saws with the guard and one of them has No8A etched on the saw plate. I am not sure at this stage which other models were available with this feature.

I am gradually piecing together the timelines of Simonds' handsaws. Your saw with the manufacturing medallion would be between 1907 and 1923. It could even be a year or two earlier.

You had me worried with the Atkins etch there for a moment until I saw your second post.

Regards
    Paul