Saw Medallions

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

A couple more.
    The first is from a 22in handsaw of maybe 1900, a "City Saw", which was a brand made by Slack, Sellars, who took the name over from a small firm of William Frederick Harley (or Holy)Wilson (1883-1907) whose trademark was "The City Saw" and which Slacks presumably took over, including the name.
    The image is of Sheffield's Town [not City] Hall, which was built in 1897 [the City Hall was built by the Council in the 1930s as an employment scheme, and is a concert hall]

the second is a better example of T Sheldon, who was on Trafalgar Place from 1837-1864 – hence the image of Horatio Nelson, who died in the battle of Trafalgar. It's from a handsaw of about 1860, so used up as to be almost undateable.

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

And another one, from Philadelphia, Walter Cresson.

Attached Files:

3. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Here are two early Disston medallions and one of Bassett Jarvis & Morris, different than the one David posted earlier.

Attached Files:

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Bob,

This is on Ebay at the moment. I cannot see it in your lists anywhere.

If you enlarge the picture, you get a good view of the image.

Fred

Attached Files:

5. David

David Most Valued Member

StempleSlater&Gamblemedal.jpg stempleBJMmedal.jpg conradrobertsmedallion.jpg And here are three more for the list. Slater & Gamble, Philadelphia, another Bassett, Jarvis & Morris, New Haven, and a Conrad & Roberts, Philadelphia.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  6. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Thanks fellas. Those are some great additions. I see that I've gotten behind in moving these over to the list, so I'll get on top of that. It amazes me that new medallions still keep popping up. There seems to be a nearly endless number.

Bob

7. David

David Most Valued Member

WBSearsmedal.jpg Speaking of endless....here's another W B Sears & Co, which I suspect is early on in their history.

8. summerfi

Thanks David. Interesting that some of the Sears medallions display the Wheeler, Madden & Bakewell initials.

9. wiktor48

Bob, what is the thought behind this statement?

10. summerfi

Hi Wiktor,
    There seems to be confusion surrounding W.B. Sears. Was he a saw maker from Middletown, NY? At least one antique tool dealer states as such. Or, was this simply one of several brand names used by WM&B and later WM&C? Some of the medallions bearing the W.B. Sears name include the WM&B initials and some do not. That is what I find interesting.

11. wiktor48

I wonder who is that seller...
    Did you have a chance to read a history of Monhagen Saw Works that is on my site? It is here: http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/MSW-WMC/MonhagenSaw-index.asp
    Although I didn't specifically addressed W.B. Sears saws, I only mentioned that it is a brand used by MSW. I have studied and still keep my eye on MSW and there is no evidence of any sort of existence a sawmaker who would use W.B. Sears as a brand mark. There is no evidence of any sawmaker that would make saws before MSW or in parallel. I need to mention that there is fairly extensive historical material on saw industry in Middletown, NY. We should probably move this discussion to a separate tread, since this is the place for sharing medallions... Anyway, let me know if you want to talk some more about it and we can arrange a separate thread.

12. summerfi

Yes, I did read the Monhagen history. Some very nice work putting that together. I suspect you are correct about Sears being a brand name. I wonder how Bakewell and his partners came up with that name.

13. wiktor48

This is simply unknown... Just like in many other cases with MSW and many other sawmakers. In another thread Simon Barley commented as following to a similar problem:

"There is no documentation, but there are several reasons to believe that this is a second (or sixth, or whatever) quality product of Thomas Turner, of Suffolk Road:
    1. There is no saw maker of that name in any trade directory that I have seen.
    2. It was common practice to dream up "new" names for lesser quality product lines – a helpful sales technique for the traveller with samples and needing a new patter, "Have you seen this latest line of our saws, sir, The Suffolk, quite new and very reasonably priced [ie extremely cheap] but well up to our usual high quality..."
    3. Other firms used street names for product lines, eg the Bowdon and Fitzwilliam saws made by Joseph Tyzack, whose works had one door on Bowdon Street, and the other on Fitzwilliam Street, or the Limbrick or J.Hillsborough saws made for (not by) Ward and Payne, of Limbrick Works, Hillsborough.
    Having said that, if it's well sharpened and set, this saw would in all probability be quite a good user."

I can accept that US sawmakers followed these examples, even more, because in reality all sawmaking in US started with English saws and sawmakers.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. David

David Most Valued Member

Here's an early and uncommon NY maker, Mondon, King & Co.

Attached Files:

15. wiktor48

Hey David, this is nice one! Do you have pictures of the saw?

16. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Wiktor,
    The saw plate and screws are original, but the handle is a replacement, so I don't think a picture will be very interesting. I'm tracking down some images of original handles so perhaps later I can post a worthwhile image.
    David

17. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

A couple more, both by Moses Eadon and probably much the same date – 1850-1860ish –the bottom one from a hand saw, the other from a back saw.

Attached Files:

wiktor48 likes this.
  18. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Bob,
    Here's another German medallion that just showed up on eBay. kindlemedal.jpg

19. summerfi

Thanks David. Munchner Kindl apparently translates to Munich Child. Any idea what H&L stands for?

Bob

20. David

David Most Valued Member

No sirree!