Saw Medallions

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Good ones Paul! Thanks a bunch.
    Bob

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This one baffled me for several years, until enlightenment came from a clever googler (not me) who found out that Susono does not refer to the town of that name in Japan, but to the word in the West African Twi language for - a hippopotamus...
    It's almost certainly a German-made handsaw of c1930, made for the United Tool Company; although it is a very plausible looking Sheffield saw, the wording of the etch (not reproducible, too faint) is not like any Sheffield saw I've seen.

Attached Files:

4. summerfi

An interesting saw, Simon. A hippo seems like an odd symbol to put on a saw, but perhaps it is because they are tough and strong. Or maybe the Germans were marketing the saw in Africa.

5. dyounmoses

dyounmoses Guest

Here are a few in my collection to add:

Early W.B. Sears & Co./Wheeler, Madden & Bakewell
    Cat medallion from a Lockwood, Leutkemeyer, Henry Co. saw (Cleveland, Oh Hardware)
    Taylor & Sons with striking eagle
    David

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      979.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  6. summerfi

Good ones, David! Thank you.

7. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

From ebay ... good photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. summerfi

Very nice elephant. It has been added to the collection.

9. Barleys

here is a dropbox link to some medallions - sorry they have lost their captions, as my technological skills aren't up to attaching them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ndtsy8fvfwzbj6s/W2xJroxgcl

I'd be glad of feedback if anyone can get them up.

Thanks Simon

Looking at them again, I see there are duplications - apologies. Will try and be more rigorous for part 2.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. summerfi

Wow Simon, there are some real gems in that bunch. Is it OK to add them to the site with all the others now? I may need help with identification of a few of the less obvious ones. Thanks very much.
    Bob

11. Barleys

Certainly! Please identify them as best you can and I'll get back to you asap.

Simon

12. Barleys

Link to larger selection, unfortunately including most of what was with the previous link - sorry; I find dropbox v hard to negotiate!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1cf3m7x2qe3fvtv/TxpuyeJLAs

Please note that there may be apparent duplications, but there are several which are minute variations, eg the Warranted Superior designs, and the W Tyzack Sons and Turner's elephant.

13. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Wow Simon!
    Just some great stuff and so well done. I love seeing some I have never seen. I can't wait to see that eventual book.
    Thanks
    Joe S.

14. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Wow Simon !

That's a beauty display of different styles !

There's a bunch of unidentified puzzlers, (but I'm sure you and Bob will get them all sorted)

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  15. summerfi

Simon,
    The medallions below are the ones I'm unsure of. I'm guessing the brass side plate is Richard Groves due to the beehive, but thought I'd better check. The Alma is clear, but I'm not sure who the maker was. The others I haven't a clue on.

On a related question, are all the Warranted Superior medallions with eagles on them from British saws? I assume they were for export to America.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Bob

Attached Files:

16. Barleys

I wish that I'd been able to provide a caption for them all, so if you ask me in this user-friendly way, it's easy!

The Alma is from a handsaw of c1930, and the entry that goes with it is:
    "Alma; not identified. William Hall’s premises were Alma Works."
    The William Hall entry is:
    HALL, William (Charles) SHEFFIELD
    61 Porter street 1833>
    54 Porter Street 1841-1854
    Alma Works, Pool Square 1856-1871
    Alma Works, Fargate 1876-1898
    Alma Works, Malinda Lane & Shoreham Street 1900-1913
    Alma Works, Newhall Road 1921-1939
    1841: merchant, and file, steel, saw, edge tool, and table knife manfacturer. 1879: steel, file, saw and edge tool manufacturer, and merchant. The range of this firm’s products suggests some degree of factoring, perhaps considerable (some at least was by Sanderson Brothers; a handsaw etching plate c1920 of theirs is in a private Sheffield collection).

If you ever get to see the book, you'll find the Unidentified category is a pretty big one.

The beehive plate you are quite right about: I didn't mean to include ornamental side plates, but this is indeed from a Groves. The only catalogue I've seen that mentions these is the Spear and Jackson of 1881, and I suspect that some of them were one-offs for 'specials', such as trade shows.

The one with the ear of corn in the middle is not from a saw at all (another one that crept in by accident); it's a Greek coin from 500 BC, and is used in the chapter on medallions development to illustrate the circumferential dots, which are a standard on most saw medallions - ideas why, on a postcard please.

The scroll is C & C, ie Colquhoun & Cadman, from a backsaw of c1890.

The last one is Aird & Anderson, showing an uncommon paper disc round the W/S medallion a handsaw of c1920. S & J put similar discs on theirs at this time, and I'm pretty confident it would have been made by them - it's a delightful 20inch user, from a period when in my experience S&J were some of the best saws made anywhere.
    Entry as follows:

AIRD & ANDERSON LIVERPOOL
    12 Whitechapel <1876-1976>
    Toolmakers. A catalogue of 1976 reproduced theirs of 1876, illustrating saws made by Disston, Spear & Jackson, C.T. Skelton and Robert Sorby.

PS I'm away from my database now for the next two weeks - can follow, but not contribute usefully. Simon

17. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Attached Files:

18. summerfi

Fred,
    The beaver on your medallion certainly does look like the one on the R H Smith medallion. Even the background vegetation, while not identical, is very similar. The two medallions had to have been made by the same person/company. How your medallion ended up on a Groves saw I haven't a clue, but it is a very interesting question. I'm looking forward to what others may have to say.

Bob

19. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Bob,

Your medallion thread is now "stickied" so that it will remain at the top of the thread list, and thus be easier to find.

Thanks Fred for the suggestion.

Ray

20. summerfi

Thanks Ray and Fred. I'm glad it is seen as a useful resource.

Bob